The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Botched Neumann Ai shipment
Old 1st July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp ➑️
With all due respect I have apologized to the OP.

Tit for tat. I was a full time working pro for 20+ years before I came to work for B&H and I've been here for 20 years.

On a personal note I am always curious when an individual replaces "I" with "we."

Henry Posner
I can't even begin to....

This has become amusing. Very amusing.

I'm out. Good Luck to ALL.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraus ➑️
Unbelievable. Maybe you should start shipping expensive microphones in Kraft paper. I bet you'll get a great reputation in this very small community you serve.

If you had any sense you'd be in here apologizing instead of defending your poor customer support and absolute rubbish shipping practices. I expect this kind of thing from flunkies working the phones at Verizon, not a company dealing in high end audio.

I have been in this business for almost 15 years. We engineers & producers are a small community. Those who stand the test of time don't spend their time defending their mistakes. They make it right. We make sure our customers are 100% satisfied with our mixes and masters. We go to great lengths to make sure things are done right. If we botch something the best of us will be able to cover our tracks so the customer never even knows. In other words, we fix it before the mistake is noticed.

Take a lesson from the community you serve. Pay attention to what the folks in here are saying. We are not impressed.
Thank you, Kraus,

You and Roger have been with me from the beginning on this.

I am extremely grateful for your kind support in the matter.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I can't even begin to....

This has become amusing. Very amusing.

I'm out. Good Luck to ALL.
Since you are leaving, thank you again.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I posted another question in the High-end about finishing my mic purchases, and would be extremely grateful for your input.

Thank you again, Kraus.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain ➑️
I don't agree with this.. the case it comes in is NOT shipping box or road case. it is a case to hold it in the studio .. different thing altogether.
Your supposition that it is undamaged is only that..a guess that aligns with your agenda .. I personally would never feel comfortable with it.
Thank you, Roger,

This is precisely correct, and I have attempted to explain to Henry precisely why.

I truly appreciate you supporting me through all this.

You and Kraus have it right, and stood up for a newbie in his first post to the forum.

You both have big-ass balls and even bigger hearts.

Thanks.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
On a personal note I am always curious when an individual replaces "I" with "we."

Henry Posner
This thread only has 1,342 views. Keep going. We are sure it is doing the reputation of your company a world of good.

Alistair
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphorium ➑️
Thank you, Roger,

This is precisely correct, and I have attempted to explain to Henry precisely why.

I truly appreciate you supporting me through all this.

You and Kraus have it right, and stood up for a newbie in his first post to the forum.

You both have big-ass balls and even bigger hearts.

Thanks.
hoping you have a great time recording ..rock on!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Since you are leaving, thank you again.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I posted another question in the High-end about finishing my mic purchases, and would be extremely grateful for your input.

Thank you again, Kraus.
You are most welcome. I have been treated this way by companies before and it just gets under my skin. It seems like you are really interested in completing one of your life goals and I admire that. Welcome to the community!

-Kris
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is exactly the point I was trying to get at with the Bike analogy. I ride a 40lbs downhill bike with a fork up front that travels 5 1/2" inches. This fork absorbs the impact on drops so that my hands don't. Bone bruises? Fractures? Maybe, maybe not. The fact is I don't have to worry about it because the fork does that for me. I have ridden hard tails, rigid bikes and big bikes. There is a difference. This is basic logic.

I mean, are we really still discussing whether or not the wooden case is sufficient to ship such a delicate microphone? Really? Really?
Precisely so.

The logic is so basic you shouldn't have to even bother explaining it.

It should be self-evident and plain common sense.

I shouldn't have to resort to physics 101 to explain why that shipment sucked.
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Saving face has nothing to do with this. Satisfying the customer has everything to do with this.

Henry Posner
Nah it has everything to do with it!

While everybody screws up,
It's how you treat the customer on the phone when you screw up!

The problem everybody has here Henry and the respect any pro would expect is that the first words on THE PHONE NOT A FORUM SHOULD BE "I'm sorry we will take care of this"

Should not need a manager for something like this!

Your guy packed it your guy screwed up! That guy should be the one who feels the pain not the customer!

Look I have been there, Hated returns but dude no pro I have ever met would even imply that A Neumann or any wood display box would protect anything from UPS !
The Pelicans Beeznees and Lawson use yes, even my 9 year old laughed at that!
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➑️
Nah it has everything to do with it!

While everybody screws up,
It's how you treat the customer on the phone when you screw up!

The problem everybody has here Henry and the respect any pro would expect is that the first words on THE PHONE NOT A FORUM SHOULD BE "I'm sorry we will take care of this"

Should not need a manager for something like this!

Your guy packed it your guy screwed up! That guy should be the one who feels the pain not the customer!

Look I have been there, Hated returns but dude no pro I have ever met would even imply that A Neumann or any wood display box would protect anything from UPS !
The Pelicans Beeznees and Lawson use yes, even my 9 year old laughed at that!
Thank you also, Eric, for being a consistent voice of reason in this matter.

It pisses me off that Henry is still insinuating that the mic was probably fine, and the problem is mine.

This is all about saving face and blaming the customer for being too sensitive.

The facts are this:

The mic might be fine.

The mic might not be fine.

Neither Henry, nor anybody else knows one way or another until the unit is properly tested and traced in a lab.

Claiming to know otherwise is disingenuous and pure sleaze.

Not taking full responsibility for the ;($&-up by pointing to Neumann's superb packaging is frankly embarrassing.

Relying on it to cover their own asses in shipping is reckless, stupid and doomed to fail.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whats wrong with people? He bought the thing from a proper store for full price and it showed up like it was from a 12 year old on ebay. Write return to sender on the box and have ups come get it. At the very least a memo will be sent to the shipping department telling them to use packing materials for all future mic purchases - doing everyone a favor. I like B&H. They have every weird connector for sound and video you could ever want. They do have some nice mic bundle pricing and compete with amazon but the knuckle draggers in the warehouse need to learn and the only way that happens is costing them $$$$$.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You need to check the capsule. A real hard knock can cause the side of the capsule to hit the basket inside the mic. This in turn can damage the capsule for push the tension on the diaphragm out. Leaving you with an expensive paper weight. Send it back straight away and demand a replacement. I'd get get Sennheiser USA involved if you have trouble.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's so nice that in today's day and age that there are forums where misbehaving businesses can be called to task. The most egregious thing here IMHO is not the poor packing job but the absolutely disgraceful way the issue was addressed by B&H. Not allowing a customer who purchase a $3k item the courtesy of speaking with a manager. stonewalling the return at first. Are you kidding me, this is a throw back to the bad old days of electronics retail. I remember those shady electronics stores years ago with the screaming pitch man. Customer support was non existence and the customers themselves were treated like crap with suspicion and disdain after the sale. And good luck trying to return something.

Now we live in the age of Amazon and Yelp and good bad or indifferent there are always retail options and a large data base of customer experiences. I hope the OP plans to use that venue as well to inform others of his experience.

B&H still has those nifty radio commercials I must say, I was almost intrigued enough to stop in but B&H being closed on Saturday, I kinda got the feeling it was all about them.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Looking at their Facebook page, I'm starting to think B&H don't give a damn about anything other than photography products. Also, look at their reviews, so many complaints about shipping. What a garbage company. If your customer isn't happy, make it right. And having a representative come on this forum for no reason other than to save face with the community, who do you think you're fooling? Your smug attitude is bull****.

You guys suck and I'll never spend a penny with you.
Old 4th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey Graphorium

im very glad everything worked out for you. welcome to the forum! and i hope you will enjoy your new mic - its a very nice one
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dunno. You tell me.

In no measurable way is B&H a "proper" store -though precisely what you mean by that I can't discern- so, If you want that assertion to have any credibility, you'll have to provide an example, I'm afraid.

Yes. I paid full price.

12 is magnanimous. My nephew could do a better job at half that.

Uh.... You realize there is no possible way that would have worked, yes? So I'll read that as irony and laugh.

Oh, They got the memo alright.

Henry wouldn't be emailing me asking whether their signature B&H tape had been broken or taped over so they could blame it on someone other than themselves

Sent him photos of the Box BEFORE I opened it. I knew that mic was f&$%*# the moment I saw the box.

That's a great story hahaha. Hahahaha.

Had you bothered reading the thread, one would hope you might have gleaned the hard fact that not one thing about B&H; not customer service, not pricing, not return policies, not packing ability, not responsibility, not accountability, nothing; that in no measurable way do they compete with Amazon. They are useless middlemen providing zero added value, with the most rigid and anti-consumer policies of any retail store you can name, who have no justifiable reason for their own existence as a corporate entity in any way I can discern, and whom I predict shall fade with a whimper.

Had they been smart and not so consumed by greed, they would have just replaced the mic, zero hassle, and said, "It's on the house."

Why on earth would they do that? Well, if even one of them could have been bothered to speak with me, they would know I am going to spend this amount of money, one way or another.

Letting 3 grand just go makes sense if it SECURES THE OTHER 47.

They will give a million reasons why they couldn't possibly do something like this

Bull****. They can do what they please, and have grown very used to it.

Their greed prevented me canceling everything: they had to have payment for the replacement mic up front, so I paid twice and have yet to be refunded.

They just had to keep that Grace order on the books. Couldn't bear seeing one nickel go.

So arrogant, complacent, greedy and myopic they truly think they can take money for doing nothing, and abuse their customers with impunity.

So blinded by the shiny coin in front of them they refuse to exercise the flexibility necessary to create loyal and lasting client relationships.

The are guided by greed alone: It explains their every behavior and policy, and is transparent to anyone bothering to look.

This HAS cost them $$$$, but the best part is they were so blinded by Avarice, Sloth, and Unconcealed Contempt for their own customers, THEY NEVER SAW IT COMING.
You wrote a pretentious wall of text refuting my points when virtually my whole post was in agreement with you.

Well ok then.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken_punchup ➑️
Looking at their Facebook page, I'm starting to think B&H don't give a damn about anything other than photography products. Also, look at their reviews, so many complaints about shipping. What a garbage company. If your customer isn't happy, make it right. And having a representative come on this forum for no reason other than to save face with the community, who do you think you're fooling? Your smug attitude is bull****.

You guys suck and I'll never spend a penny with you.
oh they care about sound just not sound for music. There is NO money in music production as I'm sure many of you are realizing
Old 4th July 2014
PRH
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I will just add (for the sake of balance and not in any way to diminish the OP's legitimate complaint) that I have bought photographic equipment from B&H for a number of years without any issues whatsoever. This involved overseas shipping as well.
Old 5th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@ Jst0rm: Misread you as sarcasm.
My apologies Jst0rm, Took post down.
It will remain in your quote
I'm not good with tone online; my mistake.
Very sorry again.

Last edited by Graphorium; 5th July 2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: Addressed
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no worries. Ill leave it up for the comedy though. Love using that gif
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you for being understanding.

My Asperger's makes it extremely difficult for me to read people's tone in person, let alone without any non-verbal cues whatsoever in an online forum.

Very sorry again.

Last edited by Graphorium; 5th July 2014 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH ➑️
I will just add (for the sake of balance and not in any way to diminish the OP's legitimate complaint) that I have bought photographic equipment from B&H for a number of years without any issues whatsoever. This involved overseas shipping as well.
This is true, and had been my own previous experience as well, which is why I went straight to B&H in the first place.

This is mere speculation, but I believe part the problem lies in the fact that B&H has begun to sell a larger volume of downmarket items to stay in business (Pre-paid phones? Smart watches?) which has affected shipping practices.

The larger outgoing volume of cheaper merchandise is bound to increase the probability of a mistake like this happening unless they partition the warehouse and/or institute whatever policies are necessary to prevent it.

A hundred dollar pre-paid phone probably shouldn't be going out the same shipping channel as a $3k mic, and certainly not in the same sized box.
Old 7th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH ➑️
Thank you. We appreciate this sentiment and that you took the time to post it. That said, it does not excuse what was apparently inadequate packaging for the OP's original order. He and I have discussed this via email and I believe have come to an amicable accommodation.

UPDATE: We have received the returned mic and subjected it to every inspection and test we are equipped to bring and the mic is in pristine, as-new, factory-fresh condition and in perfect working order. That said, we do regret the OP's dissatisfaction and acknowledge he certainly had legitimate reason for concern.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
wow this thread is unbelievable! I have purchased many items over the years in boxes that looked a lot more banged up than that and have never had a problem as a result. Still, despite this minor blemish on the original box I do understand the OPs concern and it is his prerogative to not feel comfortable with it. B&H has agreed and accommodated him. Henry from B&H has been very diplomatic and polite yet people still seem to want to portray B&H as a terrible business even though they took it back and paid for return shipping. I suspect this all has to do with something more than what we are reading about here. curious
Old 5th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj ➑️
wow this thread is unbelievable! I have purchased many items over the years in boxes that looked a lot more banged up than that and have never had a problem as a result. Still, despite this minor blemish on the original box I do understand the OPs concern and it is his prerogative to not feel comfortable with it. B&H has agreed and accommodated him. Henry from B&H has been very diplomatic and polite yet people still seem to want to portray B&H as a terrible business even though they took it back and paid for return shipping. I suspect this all has to do with something more than what we are reading about here. curious
Did you read the thread? The OP had to make multiple attempts to get that RA !
Polite in this situation is, and yes I have been in this situation is
"I'm so sorry, we F#%ked Up I will issue a call tag and Again I'm sorry I will go talk to our VP of operations, I see _____ was the one Shipped this, I will make sure that he understands the situation, Again I am sorry, but thank you for bringing this to our attention to often people don't let's us know directly and we can't figure out who or what the problem is I hope that this will not keep you from coming to us again, I have also noted this on your acct and will make sure if you do choose to call us again that I will not only give the best price possible but I will walk through your order myself"

That is how it's done when you get the call, been there done that . It is also why my old employer and a select group of other dealers are not the subject of threads like this!
Old 16th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➑️

There may be another way to deal with a botched Neumann shipment...

Old 17th August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
One thing that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned in this thread. (I do think b&h fumbled this). I live in Ny and shop at B&h for pro audio and video with good results.
Years ago when I bought a wireless mic at j&r not B&h I first came across this no return policy. I was shocked BUT I learned what started it. Film students were coming in and buying a ton of gear on credit cards. They were shooting their films before the credit card bill was due then returning the gear. So they were treating retailers as a free rental house, and the retailers were then stuck with B stock. So I don't like the policy but I understand what caused it. recording studios could do the same thing. They as a policy won't accept returns but they will exchange. I am always aware of this before a purchase. That said I would not have been happy to receive a mic shipped like that.
Brad
Old 18th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj ➑️
B&H has agreed and accommodated him. Henry from B&H has been very diplomatic and polite yet people still seem to want to portray B&H as a terrible business even though they took it back and paid for return shipping. I suspect this all has to do with something more than what we are reading about here. curious
Thank you. I appreciate your sentiments and the time you took to write.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…