Intro to Geekery - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intro to Geekery
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Intro to Geekery

I'm new to these parts of Gearslutz.

I may have had minor dropping incidents in the past- with my MS-20 mini, a "don't ask" kinda thing, and later with my Matrix 6, a story of too great a magnitude for this particular post. Opening these suckers up and inspecting for damage, as well as hearing about crazy Don Buchla modules and seeing Ken MacBeth demo his creations tipped my interest in learning how to build modules, synths, maybe even effects units. Of course a good knowledge of circuitry is required, but what other fields does one need to be well versed in? I had also thought of some mods I that would be awesome for the MS-20, it'd be great to be able to do that sort of thing myself.

Hopefully the answer is "read This book" and I'd get a-weldin' away, but I sense it may not be quite that simple!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Very few books or articles will actually tell you what you really need to know so you have to read LOADS of books and while you do so, ask (yourself) WHY is 'such and such comoponent' there, and why that value.
It involves THINKING.
A bunch of 5 minute 'youtube' clips will tell you next to nothing.
EVERYTHING is a compromise despite what the marketers may want you to think (about their product) and positives in some aspects are negatives in others. Teflon coated silver wire may be 'nice' and improve sonics slightly, but it will probably make gear too expensive for anyone except the aerospace industry with their budgets.
Happy reading.
Matt
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson ➑️
Hi
Very few books or articles will actually tell you what you really need to know so you have to read LOADS of books and while you do so, ask (yourself) WHY is 'such and such comoponent' there, and why that value.
It involves THINKING.
A bunch of 5 minute 'youtube' clips will tell you next to nothing.
EVERYTHING is a compromise despite what the marketers may want you to think (about their product) and positives in some aspects are negatives in others. Teflon coated silver wire may be 'nice' and improve sonics slightly, but it will probably make gear too expensive for anyone except the aerospace industry with their budgets.
Happy reading.
Matt
could you recommend any types of books? ie. circuitry books, scientific synthesizer books etc.

I did not expect any short youtube videos to be immensely helpful either, I'm looking for fields that I need to research in depth. I'd be happy to commit a lot of time to getting a good background in this. Maybe I can shoot Ken MacBeth an email haha.

*edit Unless you're implying that it's electrical and audio engineering that I need to know. In that case I'll try and learn just what's necesarry
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Many pieces of circuitry 'fail' to perform due to ignorance of very basic 'electrical theory' as identified by Faraday, Maxwell and others. Consider what effects stray capacitance and inductance will have on any given circut and things change somewhat.
Cookbooks of circuits are interesting as they give ideas and by looking through you will get a feel for what is 'essential' and what 'just works'.
Textbook 'op amp theory' often ignores the fact that they are real components with an assortment of limitations. Walt Jung wrote many interesting articles and books (op amp based).
Matt S
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never read it but this is one that I often see suggested.
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Pro.../dp/0825695023
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Small signal audio design"

Has helped me.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"Small signal audio design"

One of several good books by Doug Self

The Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
great stuff, thanks
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…