multi-channel sound installation - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
multi-channel sound installation
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
multi-channel sound installation

Hi,
This will probably not be a challenging question for you :-) but it would be very helpful for me

So, I'm an artist working on a multi-channel sound installation. I bought some gear but I'm not sure about the specs and would be very grateful to hear your advise. By the way, I'm not looking for the best sound quality in my project- something like a radio set will be good enough for me. But I do need it to be loud enough.

I have several amp boards: the T2 STA510A by hifimediy. The recommended voltage it 35V
Hifimediy T2 SE STA510A MUNDORF MCAP (I think its the previous model, without the mundorf mcap - I don't know what's mcap is)

I also bought Meanwell Nes-350-36 (350W, 36V) power supply
http://www.meanwell.com/search/NES-350/NES-350-spec.pdf

[1]
I see that the Meanwell has 3 possible outputs. Can I use a single Meanwell to power two of the amp board? Or would it drastically lower the volume?

[2]
I have a spare Meanwell s-350-24. Can I use it with the amp board? My guess here is that it would have less volume, but again I have experience with something like that.

The loudspeakers I'm using: Pyle PL42BL. The specs say: 90 Watt RMS, 180 Watts Max. Someone in the store told me these specs are for a single loudspeaker (they come in pairs). I would very much make a setting that provides enough power to run the max RMS...

Thanks a lot!
ysoundy
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow. You are using rather esoteric components for your modest requirements!

[1] I don't know what you mean by "3 possible outputs"? The MeanWell NES-350-36 is a single-output, 36V, 9.6A power supply. It will power any number of loads up to its current capacity.

[2] The amplifier module is specified for "24-39V" so your 24V power supply should work. But, as you say, with lower power output.

"Loud" depends on many things, not the least of which is your definition of "loud", the efficiency of the speaker drivers and enclosure, and the acoustics of the space.
Your amplifier module is specified for 100W, and your speakers are specified for 90W. So be careful not to operate your system "full-blast" or you run the very real risk of frying the speakers.
Using rather small four-inch speakers does not seem consistent with "loud" (depending on your definition of "loud").

Switch-mode power supplies and amplifier modules are not as robust and forgiving as traditional linear circuits, although they are more efficient.
They are not what I would recommend for beginners or casual users. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations very carefully to avoid toasting them.

Note that the power amplifier module wants 1.5V audio input for full power. You don't reveal what the audio source is, but confirm that it is adequate, or else you will need to boost it up to 1.5V.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi Richard,
Thanks a lot for taking the time and replying. It means a lot to me :-) It's also a good opportunity to learn a bit about audio and electronics...

The Meanwell NES-350-36 has three V+ outputs and three V- outputs (pls forgive me if my terminology is messed up), so I assumed one can connect three devices...(I attached a photo of it just in case)

Lets assume I use one power-supply to power two amplifier boards. The specs of the power supply are: 350W, 36V,9.6A . Does it mean that now each board can have only 4.8A? How do I know it's enough for the board? (I couldn't find any specs about the current of the board, only voltage and watts) Or do I need to look only at the watts here? Can I assume that having a 350W power-supply means that I can power 3.5 boards (assuming that each board needs 100W)? Do I need to check the voltage as well?
So, in general, what do I need to check when connecting a power supply to an amplifier board?
I'm a bit lost here, though I know it's kind of basic stuff for you...

Thanks!!!
ysoundy
Attached Thumbnails
multi-channel sound installation-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The power supply has only one output. But the + side, and the - side each have three screw terminals for your convenience.
It is rather like a power strip. There are many parallel outputs, but they are all the same circuit, and share the same available power.
You can connect as many loads as you wish to the power supply as long as they total no more than 9.6A

Any power supply has some finite maximum rated output. Exceeding this is abusive and a significant risk of failure and calamity.

Ohm's Law gives you a handy way of calculating voltage, current, resistance, and power. Ohm's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I made a handy online Ohm's Law calculator here: EIRP Calculator
It shows that 100W at 35V = 2.9 amps
But with a 4 ohm speaker load, you need 5A (but only 20V) to get the full 100W.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi Richard,
Thanks a lot! trying to overcome my fear of equations...

In that case, would you say it's possible to use a single power-supply for two amp boards? I mean, I prefer not to buy extra power-supplies because my budget is gone...Each board is connected to two loudspeakers...

Also, I'm using audio from my computer (mac book pro) to M-audio profire 2626. You mentioned that it should be 1.5V...Is that the case with my computer?

thanks!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…