Tape Machine Static Discharge - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tape Machine Static Discharge
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Tape Machine Static Discharge

Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing quite a weird problem with my Revox a77.

On rewind or fast forward I'm getting a static discharge between the reel and the motor. You can actually see it when you look closely, and also it peaks my converters when it happens.

Everything is ok on the playback mode, or when I touch one of the reels.

Anyone has experienced similar problems? any idea what could cause this problem?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Low ambient humidity?
Plastic reels?

You have created yourself a Van de Graaff static electricity generator!

Is the hub grounded? Is it metalic? Does it contact the motor shaft?
In extreme cases you could potentially use some of that conductive brush material around the hub and/or touching the bottom of the reel.

Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
it's actually quite warm and humid in this room. The humidity has actually risen in the last few months, could it be that high humidity is causing it?
the reels are standard Ampex 456.

I'm not to sure what you mean if the hub is grounded, it's standard Revox plastic hub adaptor.

Everything was fine some time ago, and just recently it started. I'm going to pay close attention to the weather and temperature. Maybe when it gets a bit dryer it will disappear.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Typically, humidity drains off static charge, and dry weather makes the static problem worse.
It has been a long time since worked on a Revox 77. I recall that some machines with plastic hubs had a spring inside that ensures electrical contact with the motor shaft (which is presumed to be grounded to the chassis).
Has the hub(s) been removed and replaced? Any other work that may have changed something?
Are you using the same tape and reels as before?
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…