Quantcast
Rhodes Chroma Salvage/Repair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rhodes Chroma Salvage/Repair
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rhodes Chroma Salvage/Repair

I recently picked up a Rhodes Chroma pretty cheap as a restoration project (Worst case scenario, so have some backup chips) and this thing has been totally ripped apart! I was hoping there would be soMeone with some solid experience with Chromas here who might be able to give me some pointers as I've been dabbling with electronics for a short time but this will be my first major project and I can use all the help I can get! Check the shape of this thing out! Looks like someone totally ravaged it.

Here's the I/O board. This is the worst part, where I'll be doing the most work. The ribbon connectors are shredded and I will have to get new ones to solder in, there are loose connections everywhere, and It's missing a few chips, the positions of which are Z31, Z33, Z3, Z20, and Z24, the chip models are 8093, 2716, 809, 7523J, and 7541L respectively. Not sure if these are standard chips or something specific to the chroma, but I pulled the chip numbers from the schematics and it didn't specify any brand of chips, just those model numbers. Don't know how I would go about finding out what these chips are or where to get them.. Any pointers on that?

Here's the main CPU board. Luckily the CC+ MIDI upgrade kit I have for it completely replaces this board, so it should've pose much problem (I hope) and maybe I can save the chips for future backups.

All of the 8 voice cards seem to be immaculate

What do you think? It seems doable, as long as the chips aren't complete unobtanium....Which they could very well be.. Any thoughts on that? The rest of the deal is just soldering in replacement ribbons, connecting all the loose cables, so I think I could manage that! I'm willing to invest time and money into this repair, all I want is to see it live again, regardless of how difficult. My main concern is whether it is possible!
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➡️
You couldn't have picked a worst major project for a novice. Get your money back.
So it's not possible? Haha, I'm not too bothered about difficult, as I have tons of free time and want this project to be tough. As long as it's possible and I'm not just wasting my time and money from this point onward.
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➡️
So it's not possible? Haha, I'm not too bothered about difficult, as I have tons of free time and want this project to be tough. As long as it's possible and I'm not just wasting my time and money from this point onward.
My first major repair experience was an OB8 about 3 years ago which I got working and installed midi.

I'm in the middle of working on a Chroma right now myself. It is actually quite simple inside like an OB8. There is a very minimal amount of trimmers inside, the computer handles so much of the calibration. The power supply has one calibration on it for the 5.05v analog rail, but the entire PS is a POS so you should consider the one from the guy on ebay. The DAC is very simple to calibrate. Otherwise Rhodes Chroma has all the information you'd ever need to get this thing up and running, good luck!
Old 5th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➡️

I'm in the middle of working on a Chroma right now myself.

To revive this thread, just to check if you guys managed to revive yours Chromas.
Thinking whether to jump into the same trouble myself, so curious how it turned out for you...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg ➡️
To revive this thread, just to check if you guys managed to revive yours Chromas.
Thinking whether to jump into the same trouble myself, so curious how it turned out for you...
I put it off all this time.. I know mines fixable but each voice card seems to have its own unique problem and I haven't been feeling very inspired to work on it lately... I'm waiting for a cold winter day when there's nothing else to do
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I put it off all this time.. I know mines fixable but each voice card seems to have its own unique problem and I haven't been feeling very inspired to work on it lately... I'm waiting for a cold winter day when there's nothing else to do
Ok, I see.
If you haven't seen this little report from rhodeschroma.com, it's good to check it before you get into diagnostics and fixing the voice boards:
(copy/paste)

The keyboard looked so nice though, so I bought it anyways. So I get it home on my kitchen table, and turn it on, and get error 1,4,5,6 great. I knew it was too good to be true, so I started playing with it, and within a few minutes, I'm happy with it as a 4 voice Chroma, it sounds delicious! Oh well I think, maybe if I jiggle the cards around, and change the positions like the site says, I'll get one or two back anyways. I tried the auto tune after 15 minutes, and the same 4 errors come up. Then I remember there's some way to enable the cards that fail the test, so I open up the manual, and start to read. First I find that you can test the internal battery by pressing Set Split and 6. My battery says 3.5 so that seems good. Then I find that you reset the whole tuning procedure by pressing Set Split, 50. I try it, and they all passed! I couldn't believe it! It looks great, and it sounds great, and as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with it! Well, I've gotta go play with it, thanx so much for your part in me getting it!"
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's awesome that it worked for you! I really wish mine was that easy but I've narrowed it down to the voice cards... 7 of them them don't work no matter where they go and bypassing the tuning works enough to hear whats going on with various issues. No idea how mine got so messed up but one day I'll get back on top of it. Chromas really do sound incredible though, you really lucked out
Old 10th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's awesome that it worked for you! I really wish mine was that easy but I've narrowed it down to the voice cards... 7 of them them don't work no matter where they go and bypassing the tuning works enough to hear whats going on with various issues. No idea how mine got so messed up but one day I'll get back on top of it. Chromas really do sound incredible though, you really lucked out
Huh man.. I wish it was me!
It's some guy's post from Chroma board. I'm just considering to get one offered to me (non-working of course!), and checking what are the chances of repair.
Or better - checking what's the percentage of people who never managed to repair theirs.

Sorry to hear your boards are so bad.
Did they have any battery leak over them? Or died just like that?
Guess you could still recover some investment by selling them (chips probably still work), if all other repairs wouldn't work.
Old 10th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➡️
I wonder if OP managed to repair his Chroma?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…