Quantcast
Blown Dan Electro Fab Tone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blown Dan Electro Fab Tone
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Blown Dan Electro Fab Tone

Hi guys, not sure if this is the best place to put this question, but I recently found a variable power supply, and thought it'd be alright to use on my dan electro fab tone, but I believe I've sent the wrong polarity into the pedal and now it's refusing to work. The LED flickers slightly when on and the clean comes through, just not distortion unfortunately.
I'm quite new to electronics but feel I should be able to fix it, was wondering if anyone knows how to go about it? I'm not sure if the pedal has a polarity protection diode, or if anyone else has any idea on how to fix this.

Cheers in advance,

Chris.

edit: adding images of the circuit.

Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
opened it up yet?
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Pictures added. Had a look at the electrolytic capacitors but I can't see any sign of them leaking.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
No takers?

Only need to know what to measure, and see what's blown/needs replaced.
Old 31st January 2013
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That 1N400x is most likely for polarity protection. What was the voltage of the power supply? You sure it's a DC supply? It's hard to tell you where to start without seeing a schematic.

Since you are only getting clean and the LED is pulsing you won't be able to toggle the flip flop circuit in and out of bypass. What does it do when you use a battery instead of a power supply? Same thing? If so, I'd start with the flip flop which bypasses the pedal and controls that LED...both things that aren't working.

EDIT: I found a schematic. What are the odds that the supply you used was more than 15v? The flip flip is a CD4013 which is a CMOS chip rated to 15v.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Supply was still 9v, just polarity was reversed I think, it was quite an old power supply, but it had the option to flip the polarity I think, I'll take a photo of it when I'm home.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…