Quantcast
Soundcraft Ghost 32 LE PSU Dead - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Ghost 32 LE PSU Dead
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Soundcraft Ghost 32 LE PSU Dead

Hi I have a Ghost 32 ch since 2005 purchased second hand. I have been unknowingly running it on the Crap PSM290 not having any trouble. Last week while the ghost was left on i had a power outage at my home studio. When the power came back the 8A fast blow fuse was blown. After using the Net i realised there is better supplies for the board but i cannot affor at the moment i am also in the middle of a project. I opened the PSU disconnected from the Ghost and noticed the 2 filter caps bulging and 1 was open circuit. Thinking this was a quick fix i ordered 2 new caps the same value and fitted new fuse. once power up 3 lights came on but the black relay was chattering mad and it tripped the main breaker for the mains curcuit and also blow one of the new filter 470uf 200v caps.
Has anyone got any ideas what could be a fault i know there could be 2 mosfets also could be at fault which i might just replace (But i dont want to keep throwing parts at it). I am hoping i can get the PSU working just to finish the project but i dont want to damage the desk also. (It is not connected to anything since fuse blow)
I have seen comments on the other boards and relalise that its a crap supply but just maybe there is a short term fix until i can afford a better psu.
Thanks
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I replaced my my ghost supply with power one modules. It was a very positive sonic upgrade but its not saying that the old 290 supply ruined the board sonics. I have an extra 290 psu I would sell trade or rent if you need something soon.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost ➑️
I replaced my my ghost supply with power one modules. It was a very positive sonic upgrade but its not saying that the old 290 supply ruined the board sonics. I have an extra 290 psu I would sell trade or rent if you need something soon.
Hi thanks for the reply and Offer. I am in Ireland so i think shipping your 290 may cost a bit. i was hoping that someone on here would have an idea as to what components are usually suspect in these Switch mode Power supplies. Ironicly the PSM290 was made in Ireland too i think the company has gone bust (Not Supprise). Could i use a Linear Bench supply of 15v 5 A i seen on another thread where someone was trying to fire up a soundtracs desk he was advised to use a Dual supply, But am i right in Suggesting that if im Not using Phantom Power and there is no Midi comp onboard that a Single supply of 15v 5 A would be ok. (I have 2 extra channel strips which i am going to get Moded but) The ghost is running Stock at present and will be for next year or so. I dont have cash for the power one at present but i can get a bench supply cheaper online.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would go bigger than 5a since you have a 32 channel. The 5v is regulated by the board off of the 17v you supply. My supply is a 15v trimmed up to 16.5v and it was a good improvement over the stock crappy supply.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost ➑️
I would go bigger than 5a since you have a 32 channel. The 5v is regulated by the board off of the 17v you supply. My supply is a 15v trimmed up to 16.5v and it was a good improvement over the stock crappy supply.
What supply are you using. Is it a bench supply?
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just to make it absolutely clear - the power supply must have dual voltage outputs:

+17.5 volts at 5 amps
0 volt common
-17.5 volts at 5 amps

Phantom Supply:
+48 volts at 0.3 amps

Logic supply:
+5 volts at 1 amp

You will not be able to run the mixer on a single supply.
Old 13th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for that mixermend. I dont use phantom power but could i use a SMPS for the 48v. Im wondering could i use a Dual bench supply with +17v & -17v 5 amps or power one module and use a SMPS for the Phantom as they are a lot cheaper then Linear, But would this cause noise or other issues. Its not a big problem if i dont use Phantom power.
I Was in the process of trouble shooting the PSM290 when i replace filter caps checked the bridge rectifiers and all looked good but after reading post's here im not going to try it as i dont want to Fry the Ghost so thats why i am looking for the cheapest way out to get up and running and finish a project. Using a soldering Iron and multimeter really f**ks the creative juice flow.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
A bench power supply should be fine - the outputs are likely to be smoother and quieter than most alternatives, but it might be better to get a Power One module for a permanent solution surely?

Switched mode supplies are becoming widely used for powering mixers now - which is fine if they are designed for the purpose. The normal type of SMPS modules that are around are general purpose devices - and do have high amplitude very wide bandwidth noise present on the outputs.

There is an interesting paper written by CADAC detailing the audible differences noted by one of their customers between a SMPS and a linear supply - with the linear supply sounding better.

Of course they looked into why this was the case - and were able to modify the switching supply to make it just as good as a linear type.

This was published in Resolution magazine in the UK.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…