Quantcast
Sovtek Mig 50 Pots - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sovtek Mig 50 Pots
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sovtek Mig 50 Pots

This is my first post here. Hopefully many more to come. Anyway, having issues locating suitable replacements for the crap PCB mounted pots for my mig. I've heard that 24 MM will work, but not without quite a hassle. Btw, I'll be going flying leads route. I'm new to working on amps, however after spending the last month temporarily laid off from work, all I have done is read up on this stuff. Hoping to tackle this once I can find the proper sized pots and order them. I already know the values, too. It is just the physical size of the pot that is throwing me off.
ANY help is much obliged. Thanks.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hi there arrogantbastard (wow, sounds strange saying that!)

Welcome to gearslutz. You will notice that many members here are very helpful but, please know also that some members, like me, will ask for pictures especially in a situation where the person who asks doesn't mention details we need to know. In this case, which types of pots are the ones you want to replace? more importantly, what is the dimension, we need to know this to help you as most of us will not have a sovtek amp lying around to verify.

Definitely you will have some trouble fitting in 24mm pots in a place where pcb mounts were, but without knowing more details about the pots, I can't suggest anything.

Please provide a picture of the pcb with the pots, and maybe the chassis faceplate.

2N
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 ➑️
hi there arrogantbastard (wow, sounds strange saying that!)

Welcome to gearslutz. You will notice that many members here are very helpful but, please know also that some members, like me, will ask for pictures especially in a situation where the person who asks doesn't mention details we need to know. In this case, which types of pots are the ones you want to replace? more importantly, what is the dimension, we need to know this to help you as most of us will not have a sovtek amp lying around to verify.

Definitely you will have some trouble fitting in 24mm pots in a place where pcb mounts were, but without knowing more details about the pots, I can't suggest anything.

Please provide a picture of the pcb with the pots, and maybe the chassis faceplate.

2N
I apologize for the rather vague description. I've taken a few snapshots with my phone.

If I haven't included any proper shots, please let me know. Also, what part of the pot do they actually measure when measuring for pot size? The back of the pot all the way to the tip of the shaft?

I had the idea of running down the holes through the chassis and putting nuts on the other end, therefore mounting it directly to the chassis. However, can't do that on the far one. It'd run directly into the transformer on top. I'm not even sure if that'd be the way to do it. It sorta just came to mind. This should be an exciting procedure, though.
Hope to hear some input. And thanks, again.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovtek Mig 50 Pots-pot1.jpg   Sovtek Mig 50 Pots-pcbmountbracket.jpg   Sovtek Mig 50 Pots-img_20130126_150231.jpg   Sovtek Mig 50 Pots-img_20130126_145811.jpg  
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
hey
those kinda look like honeywell pots, something like these:
308NPC100KS - HONEYWELL S&C / CLAROSTAT - POTENTIOMETER, ROTARY, 100KOHM | Newark

you can compare the dimensions they list at newark to yours
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm, I'm starting to wonder, what's wrong with the original pots? Are they just dirty? If so, clean them, now there's two ways to do this: the easy way, which is spraying degunker, which in my opinion just moves the dirt around and eventually you'll have the same problem again very soon, or do it the right way: take the pot apart (I know I know, it takes time) and carefully run a thin piece of paper or Kimwipe tissue between the carbon track and the wiper. The paper should look dirty after you have wiped the circumference of the wiper.

Anyway, if you still want to change the pots, I suggest looking at what Mouser has to offer in the Alps pots.They have similar models in the audio line that look exactly like this.

I'll try to take a look for you after work, but definitely check Mouser. Oh and by the way, the dimension which you asked about is the diameter of the can of the pot. But obviously the other dimensions are important too.
Be careful with that metal backplate, it seems to have been bent on that ear where the screw goes...
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 ➑️
Hmm, I'm starting to wonder, what's wrong with the original pots? Are they just dirty? If so, clean them, now there's two ways to do this: the easy way, which is spraying degunker, which in my opinion just moves the dirt around and eventually you'll have the same problem again very soon, or do it the right way: take the pot apart (I know I know, it takes time) and carefully run a thin piece of paper or Kimwipe tissue between the carbon track and the wiper. The paper should look dirty after you have wiped the circumference of the wiper.

Anyway, if you still want to change the pots, I suggest looking at what Mouser has to offer in the Alps pots.They have similar models in the audio line that look exactly like this.

I'll try to take a look for you after work, but definitely check Mouser. Oh and by the way, the dimension which you asked about is the diameter of the can of the pot. But obviously the other dimensions are important too.
Be careful with that metal backplate, it seems to have been bent on that ear where the screw goes...

Some of the pots are dirty. One doesn't work, period. Frankly, they're cheap/crap pots. I'd just as soon replace all of them.
The mounting bar isn't bent. I had just laid it back in there in order to take the picture. I'd like to do away with it altogether. There's always that risk that if a pot is bumped or knocked around, while connected to the PCB via the mounting bar thinger majigger, that it could damage the PCB. I don't want to take that risk. =D

From doing more research, it looks as if I'll have to lower the board in order to chassis mount new pots. Not a big deal. There are little dowel(ish) things that the screws go into. I'd simply remove them and put a nut on the other side of the chassis, itself.

I'll check Mouser A.S.A.P.

Again, appreciate ALL of the help. =D
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Okay, you were right. The bar has a SLIGHT bend to it. Not as bad as it looks in that picture, though. =/
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the original sovtek pots are GARBAGE. I've never seen a single one that didn't have pot issues.

Personally, I just drilled out the faceplate to fit slightly bigger pots. It was well worth it, the thing is invincible now, and I can't imagine anyone down the road complaining if I try to sell it because it's not all original. Then again, who the hell knows? All I care about is that it works and sounds great now. The Mig50 is one hell of an amp when it's doing what it should.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And now those Sovteks are vintage. Were they made in Russia?

Anyway, with the comments about those pots, replacing them seems like the right thing to do. Did you find a suitable replacement?
Old 28th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the same problem with my mig - crap pots. What did you finally do to fix the prob? Where did you go, what did you buy? How did it work?
Old 25th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've had two mig 50s and just bought a third. I've never had trouble with any of the pots but I don't fuss with the controls much. Once I dial it in, it stays there until I sell it.

Great amps. The first one I had I bought brand new for $250 I think. It was the best amp I've ever owned up until that time and was exactly what I was hoping it was. Over the next decade of playing and owning vintage marshalls(74 SP) Reissues (plexi/JTM45) Fender bassmans (63 head) vintage hiwatts (73 DR101) Boutiques ( Dr Z) and Traynors (YBA1 and YBA-2).. The sovtek holds it's own against any of them and better than some. Even today you can find them under $500. Those and the Traynors are probably the best vintage sounding amps deals on the planet.

I've owned every Sovtek amp and the mig 50 was the only one I liked. All of the others were pre amp buzz machines that sound like every crappy amp out there.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…