Quantcast
A pair of Hammond 850G - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A pair of Hammond 850G
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A pair of Hammond 850G

Hi fellow geeks. First time poster in this part of GS!

I just recently found a pair of Hammond 850G transformers laying around in a box in my studio.

I'd like to put them to good use by making one DI and one guitar re-amping device.

Is this a good idea?

Where should i look for in terms of good/simple schematics?

Any advice/guidance/warning is welcome!
Furn
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hey Furn...are you from 1180?

check out hammond for details on your trafos:
Hammond Mfg. - Broadcast Quality Audio Transformers - (560, 800-844 & 850 Series)

scroll down a bit for the 850
those are great trafos but i dont think they would be suited for either of your two applications. they are 150/600 on each side, so they are good for isolation on balanced applications (hum elimination). you might be able to build an M/S box with them too.

if you dont want them.... send me a pm
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for your response.

You're right about those specs... i guess input Z needs to be greater for DI and reamping purposes... although i found this, which uses a 600:600 ohm trans.

What do you think of his design?

Also, what's 1180?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
hey
1180 st antoine is the adress for the sound module, a guy named furn runs it... i guess its a different furn!

I cant really comment on the design you linked, i dont have the knowledge to say anything relevant, other than Scott Dorsey is well known and respected in the field, to the best of my knowledge.

From his explanation it sounds legit, interesting how he simulates guitar pickups after the trafo. He is using "downright cheap" transformers, so I wonder if you would be getting any benefit from using your hammonds vs cheaper trafos.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…