Quantcast
Hi-Fi Op Amp Selection - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi-Fi Op Amp Selection
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hi-Fi Op Amp Selection

So I am currently working on a prototype for a hi-fi desktop equalizer, and would like to get some outside opinions on op amp selection.
My original intent was to use all TI LM4562 op amps, as they seem to be among the highest-speced I can find for audio use. However, I'm not personally familiar with these ICs (other than from what I've heard/read) and am wondering, will I REALLY hear a difference with the 4562s as opposed to, say, TL084s?
Looking at a roughly $30-40 cost difference depending on whether I use the 4562s or the TL084s, so I really want to make sure the extra cost is justified.
Anybody out there have any experience with that particular IC that can lend an opinion (or even other suggestions)?
Thanks!

Chris
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years

It really depends on your filter topology. For your standard resonant tank added or subtracted from your signal, the TL082 is fine for your tanks - you may hear a difference upgrading your buffer and summer to a better spec.

If you are doing a passive "T" equalizer with a buffer/gain - it really depends on your impedance.

-tINY

Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Traditional Bandaxall topology using all precision components, ans most likely a resonant RC circuit for the mids. Input/Output gain staging and buffering will be the only active portion of the circuit.
I've got some vintage gear with original Bandaxall EQs, and really want to see how this topology will sound with all modern, precision componentry.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
With new' amplifying devices' which will hopefully be quieter and less distorted than some previous bits of gear the overall difference should basically be less distortion and noise.
Unless the 'old' components were really inferior the 'sound' won't change that much but having 'precision components' would simply mean that the frequencies and amount of cut/boost will be better 'defined', meaning that if you want 8dB boost at 2KHz you might actually get it on the same pot position on both channels.
Do not bother with TL07 or 08 series. If setup for BJT op amps a MC33078 can be quite nice and is reasonable cost.
Beware that unless correctly optimised the new 'fancy' chips may not be as good overall as you may be led to think. Some outstanding specifications really are good, but may only be appropriate and achievable in a given application. You have to juggle various possibilities and situations.
Matt S
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
LM4562 is the same as LME49720. Use the 22 volt version, LME49860NA and use elevated power rails. These are low noise, low THD and low bias current. That last spec is important if you don't want to hear noise across the pots.

They sound fine for about 90%. That last 10% is noticed with faster, better parts at the frequency extremes. These are better parts than 99% of the crap you will see in pro audio gear. You should be happy with the results IF you avoid design/construction mistakes.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…