The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EHx - technical info?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
EHx - technical info?

Maybe someone out there can help me.

I recently got a DLX Memory Boy and I want to use the expression jack in a somewhat unconventional maner. So I asked EHx about how much current it can supply (I'd really like to light an LED in parallel with the selected pot).

I got a snippy response about no technical support for "mods". Actually, I don't want to mod the pedal (that's an easier task in a lot of ways). I just want specs for the expression pedal jack...

So, does anybody know (I'm assuming they have some kind of over-current protection for when a TS plug is used with a control voltage)? Or, maybe you can tell me about EHx tech support - are they not good technically / are they stupidly tight-lipped / are they hoping people break these things ? ? ?

Maybe it's some unspoken gnosticism among guitar pedal peddlers?

I really reather not open the thing up or have to load-test the jack....

-tINY

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

No hard data, but the EH DXMB's maximum (9 v. PS) current draw is only 100 mA, so it's not going to be a lot. I'd guess it's going to source a milliamp or two max, but that's purely a guess.

The DXMB is rated to work with the Roland EV-5 which uses a 10K pot, so to achieve fairly linear control, there can't be much current being put back into the input (100 uA maybe?).

It should only take a minute to stick a 1K or 500 ohm load on the voltage source pin and see how much the source voltage drops. There's probably a current limiting resistor in series with the ring to protect the DXMB from someone plugging in a shorted pedal.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
If you want to light a LED from the control voltage, you're probably going to need an emitter follower and a small external power source to drive it.

Probably, but I'm trying to avoid this.... I may need to forgo the indicator, put a power supply on a passive switch box, modify the stomp-box...

Maybe I can find some old military surpluss push-bottons with the window that opens when depressed.

-tINY

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Just edited previous post while you were typing!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Can't help with the issue at hand unfortunately, but I will say that I had a similarly unhelpful and rude response from their support staff regarding ordering a simple replacement part which they had in stock.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
Just edited previous post while you were typing!

Yeah, I am certain that there is something in there to limit the current of sense a short and fold-back the supply to the ring: The manual says to use a TS plug for 0-5v CV.

The function is disabled when nothing is plugged in, so there's a switch on the jack or another sleeve connection to sense that too....

Maybe a more adventurous project is at hand. If I have to power the box to get a light, I might as well build a CV driver into an expression pedal and build a preset or two into it....

-tINY

Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello. Please refer to the previous email. We do NOT have technical support available via email or phone. This email is monitored by non technical personnel.
Regards,

Well, if they had said it that way in the first place....

They didn't say no tech support, just not by email or phone (or anything on their website). Do you think writing a letter may get a cogent response?

That'd be more work than just doing an experiment - maybe I'll clone the thing and sell it on-line - with full tech specs. It should be pretty easy to eat some of their lunch....

-tINY

Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello. Please refer to the previous email. We do NOT have technical support available via email or phone. This email is monitored by non technical personnel.
Regards,

tINY, Do you have a time machine? No tech support via e-mail or phone! What century are these guys living in?

Maybe you should brush up on Morse code and send them a telegraph message.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

I've been contemplating carrier pidgeons...

-tINY

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…