Quantcast
Please Help: Mesh Size and Design for Royer 121 Style Ribbon Mics - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please Help: Mesh Size and Design for Royer 121 Style Ribbon Mics
Old 19th May 2014
RPC
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes, thanks for the follow-up. One thing to point out if you want these guys to have a long life: every ferrous particle in the universe wants to come live in the gap between your ribbons and pole pieces, and one of the (many) purposes of the mesh/cloth is to keep them out. So you want the openings fine enough to keep out most of the trash (iron) but big enough to let in the sound.
Old 20th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC ➑️
Yes, thanks for the follow-up. One thing to point out if you want these guys to have a long life: every ferrous particle in the universe wants to come live in the gap between your ribbons and pole pieces, and one of the (many) purposes of the mesh/cloth is to keep them out. So you want the openings fine enough to keep out most of the trash (iron) but big enough to let in the sound.
Thank You. I'll make sure to be careful with those ferrous particles.
Old 25th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Truly one of my favorite threads to revisit time and again! From one perspective, ribbon mics are the simplest piece of gear in the entire studio; from another, this means that the specs of each component are infinitely more critical than in other, more complex systems. Yet another reminder of how much I don't know!

Trubador, your mics look gorgeous! May I ask which mesh density you ended up going with? It seems like +/- 200 microns is a "standard," if such a thing exists. Off the top of my head I'm guessing much smaller would be overly restrictive, but in truth I have no real idea.
Old 25th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slor ➑️
Truly one of my favorite threads to revisit time and again! From one perspective, ribbon mics are the simplest piece of gear in the entire studio; from another, this means that the specs of each component are infinitely more critical than in other, more complex systems. Yet another reminder of how much I don't know!

Trubador, your mics look gorgeous! May I ask which mesh density you ended up going with? It seems like +/- 200 microns is a "standard," if such a thing exists. Off the top of my head I'm guessing much smaller would be overly restrictive, but in truth I have no real idea.
I used .0065 mm 304 stainless mesh; purchased at a hardware store. I don't know how many microns that is. At the end of the day I didn't really experiment. I was more concerned about the material than I was the mesh density; which I just eyeballed.
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ah, got it! Yes I saw your earlier post and was curious about more details. Well, I ask because I'm repairing a pile of old (not very impressive) mics: Reslos, Tannoys, etc. If I were building my own I might go the "fancy" route, but for now I'll probably head to the hardware store myself. Thanks much!
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

PLease, please go to the hardware store, and take a camera with you. I'd love to see the expression on the "Helpful Hardware man/women's" face when you ask her/him where the ribbon mic grill mesh is located.

If your local hardware store doesn't have anything that looks right, then the before mentioned Bellville Wire Cloth Co. is a good source or Direct Metals who also have a gigantic selection of types and sizes.

They have a nice chart buried in one of their catalogs that includes details like the percentage of open area for different mesh pitches at different wire sizes.

PDF attached below:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wire Cloth Mesh Area Info.pdf (723.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well, strange as it may sound, where I live--Portland, OR--such things are not so uncommon. In fact at my local--not particularly impressive--hardware store this afternoon, I ran into a friend and discussed the tube mixer I'm working on (and trying to source hardware for). He was there for a similar purpose himself.

I talked hammered finishes with the clerk (I was repainting a Tannoy mic, he was working on his '54 pickup).

Finally I made it back to the mesh-cutting station. There was no 304, or anything even close, but there was an attractive bronze mesh I considered buying for a moment. The clerk told me it had been especially popular lately; I asked for what purpose, half-expecting he'd say: "Oh you know, for shielding the fragile elements in ribbon mics." Instead, he thought for a moment and said: "For gardening, mostly."
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slor ➑️
Well, strange as it may sound, where I live--Portland, OR--such things are not so uncommon. In fact at my local--not particularly impressive--hardware store this afternoon, I ran into a friend and discussed the tube mixer I'm working on (and trying to source hardware for). He was there for a similar purpose himself.

I talked hammered finishes with the clerk (I was repainting a Tannoy mic, he was working on his '54 pickup).

Finally I made it back to the mesh-cutting station. There was no 304, or anything even close, but there was an attractive bronze mesh I considered buying for a moment. The clerk told me it had been especially popular lately; I asked for what purpose, half-expecting he'd say: "Oh you know, for shielding the fragile elements in ribbon mics." Instead, he thought for a moment and said: "For gardening, mostly."
I'm in Portland too. I got my 304 mesh at Winks, located at 200 SE Stark St. Take a number at the back of the store and ask em' to take you to the mesh. They have a bunch of it downstairs.

Good luck!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ha ha! Well surely I would have been at Wink's, but it was a Sunday after all....
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

I'm so jealous. I'm lucky if my local "hardware" store has nuts and bolts in the size I'm looking for, but they do have a wide selection of toilet paper, and dishwashing soap.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If it makes you feel any better, my first re-ribboning attempts sounded like toilet paper drenched in dishwashing soap....
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…