Alesis HD24 upgrade - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis HD24 upgrade
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Alesis HD24 upgrade

Hey Guys!

I'm about to buy an alesis hd24 and I wonder if is possible to upgrade it to the XR version? or are they two completely different units?

there's the EC 2 mod for it, is there anything else I can upgrade to make it sound better?
I know Jim does upgrades in US, is there anyone in UK doing them as well?

is it worth to buy the normal HD version or should I get the XR to start with..?

Cheerz!
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The difference between the HD24 and the HD24XR is the EC2 mod. I have done the mod on my own HD24 and it is pretty simiple. It is comparable to adding a hard drive or daughter board to a PC.

Of course, Alesis has abandoned the HD24 and has not made any new units in years. There may be a few new ones available, but when I just went looking, all the available units (both retail and privately) were used. Also, the HD24/XR uses obsolete IDE hard drives, so you also must source some old hard drives, or else get the 3rd party converter.

I'm not saying it isn't a great unit. I loved mine until it died in transit. But it is rather older technology and it is unfortunate that the manufacturer has lost the vision to keep the product alive.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Just find an XR or one already with the EC2. Will be $800 cheaper than buying a base model and upgrading with EC2.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks guys!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
There are IDE to SATA adapters. Then grab a 2,5 inch disk so it will fit the bracket and you have SATA disks. The unit works with 2 TB disks...
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…