The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam a7x dead. Fuse?
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Adam a7x dead. Fuse?

Hi everyone,

Apparently one of my Adam monitors just stopped working from a moment to another.

I have a few doubts for the most expert in eletronics may also give me some light in this matter so I will ask a few questions.

My doubts..

The Adam is totally dead. Wont power on, the On/Off switch led wont even light.

Could it be the fuse? How do I find this out? I can open the small fuse compartiment and check it myself, but how does a fuse look when damaged?

I would also like to know what causes this problem if it is the fuse.. One moment was on, just a few minutes later is dead. ( They are 1 year old)

Is this problem common or unusual?

I also find strange that before the adam I have an ups and another distribution socket surge protected, so shouldnt the fuse brake before the speaker?

Thanks for your patiente and guidelines, here is a picture that describes the fuse..

The fuse should be T1.6AL

Any place is safe to buy it like this in amazon or I should order from adam?

Thanks and happy new year everyone!
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
Standard proceedure should be that you fit a replacement fuse of the CORRECT size and rating. Obtain from a suitable store or ADAM whichever is easiest.
Try it with a new fuse, and it it works then , good.
If the fuse 'blows' again, (or it is not the fuse) you should contact the dealer or ADAM directly and seek their assistance, certainly if it is under warranty.
A 'CORRECT' size fuse will only blow if there is a good reason and unless you have suitable test equipment and facilities to make the various measurements necessary it must be dealt with by someone who has the necessary gear.
A fuse is necessary to prevent FIRE and acts as an indicator that not all is 'well', not necessarily to 'protect' the gear.
Matt S
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
cheers thanks a lot... sent it to adam already lets wait for the news.. :/

thanks!
Old 27th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
hi,
one of my adam is blowing the fuses! now is dead...any idea of whats wrong whit it?
tak!
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
It is telling you it needs to go to the 'doctor' for repair.
Generally speaking fuses only 'blow' if something else is actually wrong. There are 'likely suspects' but you need to know how to fully troubleshoot gear otherwise simply replacing things at random gives the possibility of causing even more damage.
Matt S
Old 27th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
hi
mi "doctor" told me that he needs a "map" of the monitorยดs parts so he can detect the name of the part to replace. That way we can ask for the piece. so...any idea where can i find that "map"?
I heard that the adam company sends the new parts via shipping. is that correct?
tks again!!
Old 25th December 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Adams A7x Studio Monitor stopped working

Just happened to me! One of my Adams A7x studio monitors went out. I replaced the fuse, but it blew the new one as well. I called adams, but they never got back to me! Guitar Center won't take them because they are 2 years old! They are way too expensive to not last longer than 2 years (almost to the day!). How do I get the company to replace mine?
Old 14th August 2022
Here for the gear

It just happened to me as well. One of my a7x monitors did not turn on. When I tried to switch the fuse with the one of the functioning monitor, it burnt out immediately.
Old 15th August 2022
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi,
Fuses have not changed their function in the last 9 years since I explained. If a fuse blows there are 2 possibilities. ONE is that fuses 'age' when gear is switched on and off repeatedly (like gear put on fora session). As some gear, particularly power amplifiers pull a considerable current at initial 'switch on' special 'anti surge (time delay) T rated fuses are usually fitted which allow for around 10 times their 'normal' rated current to flow for a SHORT period of time. Even these will fail eventually.
If a fuse blows 'instantly' and it was a NEW fuse of the correct rating, then your equipment is likely to have a fault as after all that is the primary purpose of a fuse, to protect from FIRE. Transistors, diodes and ICs will fail a hundred times quicker than any fuse can react. If you have swapped the fuse from a working monitor then there is a good chance it was a decent fuse but you don't KNOW how 'tired' it was already, so you should expect that your first monitor has a fault but you could be lucky and fitting NEW fuses of the CORRECT rating might see both monitors working. I would expect not however. DO NOT fit a fuse with a significantly higher rating as it will mean you are not protected against fire,
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
So in 10 years the PCB entered in short twice. Luckily the firs time it was under warranty.

After 7 years the fuse kept blowing again. A component in the board blew and entered in short circuit. Gladly a talented eletronics repair fixed the board without having to replace for a new one.

If you are in doubt open the speaker and look for burnt components and ask someone in your local area for repair
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi โžก๏ธ
If you are in doubt open the speaker and look for burnt components and ask someone in your local area for repair
As the owner of a pair of A7X (working) speakers, I'd like to know if you have some documentation about what the failing component is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Heres a picture of the board before repair. Unfortunatly there is no schematics or documentation - this picture was taken by the repair guy and he could save the board.

Of courseeach case is a case but if your speaker is out of warranty I would open it and look for the flaw
Attached Thumbnails
Adam a7x dead. Fuse?-whatsapp-image-2022-08-28-10.45.24.jpeg  
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary โžก๏ธ
As the owner of a pair of A7X (working) speakers, I'd like to know if you have some documentation about what the failing component is.
Any news?
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…