Quantcast
Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement

Hi, I am working on an Ampex machine and I am in the process of recapping it. All I have left are the power supply filter caps. There is a multi pin capacitor (3 out of 5 pins are used, 1 positive 2 negative) but it is not a multi cap can. It has only one value printed on the can and it only appears in the schematic once, but it has two negative pins. My question is if I get a modern 2 pin capacitor and consolidate the negative wires that are currently spread over 2 pins down to one negative pin, will I have a problem? Or am I misunderstanding the situation entirely?
Attached Thumbnails
Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement-a122-filter-cap.jpg   Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement-unecap-pins-5.jpg   Multi pin, single capacitance capacitor replacement-unecap-pins-1.jpg  
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That original cap is a "twist lock" style, and has four prongs that are all connected to the external metal can of the cap. All four of the twisted tabs are the same electrical connection point. The use of two prongs as wiring connections was merely a convenience for manufacturing. Hence, no problem connecting the two wire leads to the negative end of a conventional cap.

Bri
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome. Thank you.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I found a pic of a twist lock which shows the four prongs connected to the metal can. Note that the cap in the pic has two positives sticking out of the brown phenolic, since it is a dual 300 300 uF.

But, the four outer prongs are a common negative for each of the 300 uF sections.

http://www.bakersfieldads.net/Venola...-capacitor.JSP

You will also notice that the four prongs (the negative) on the Ampex cap are also isolated from chassis via a piece of phenolic plastic. So, your replacement cap also has to have the negative line isolated from chassis which should be easy to do.

Bri
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That was super helpful. Thanks again.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…