Quantcast
DIP Op-Amp Sockets - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIP Op-Amp Sockets
Old 21st September 2012
DIP Op-Amp Sockets

What do you guys recommend for DIP sockets? I found these:

1825373-2 TE Connectivity | Mouser

I'm not sure if gold pins matter...but these are a little cheaper than the Mill Max with gold over nickel:

110-13-308-41-001000 Mill-Max | Mouser

Just wanted to know some other peoples thoughts
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The "TE" sockets are stamped metal. The Mill-Max sockets are "screw-machine" pins.

Screw machine pins are generally regarded as more secure, rugged, and reliable. They have a higher insertion force, but they generally hang on much better.

Gold plating is not necessarily a good thing depending on what kind of surface the IC pins have. You don't really believe that the "TE" pins are solid gold, do you? They are a very thin plating of gold over (likely) Beryllium Copper just like the Mill-Max. You can tell just by the number of "specs" that Mill-Max are more serious about disclosing all the facts.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
20-PIN HI-REL SNAPPABLE SIP SOCKET | AllElectronics.com

I always liked this style (they come in long strips too). That way I can socketize 8-pin, 14-pin - narrow/wide with one item to stock.

-tINY

Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you think you might ever remove the chip, use the machined sockets. They wear better, don't bend the pins, don't fatigue as much etc. I've slowly stopped using the stamped sockets.

If you need 8 pin sockets, these are a great deal (last on page) DIP Sockets - Sockets - Connectors & Sockets

I've used a bunch of them in my modules; they work well.

Pete
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Use these. Period. Don't look back.

Dip8
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=ed60000-nd

Dip14
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...=0&y=0&cur=USD
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola ➡️
Those are 10x the cost of the ones I posted

Pete
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
Those are 10x the cost of the ones I posted

Pete
I used the ones you posted one time a long time ago, and never again. They're awful, the quality was not up to my standards. They reek of cheapness. The pins can bend. The contacts aren't gold plated, so they can oxidize over time. And they hold the opamps in place by the tension of bent metal tabs. If those tabs eventually get worn and lose their tension, they won't hold the opamp in place. I would never use these cheapo sockets in the gear I build.
None of these things are problems with the millmax sockets. If you want a quality component, it's worth the extra few dimes.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola ➡️
I used the ones you posted one time a long time ago, and never again. They're awful, the quality was not up to my standards. They reek of cheapness. The pins can bend. The contacts aren't gold plated, so they can oxidize over time. And they hold the opamps in place by the tension of bent metal tabs. If those tabs eventually get worn and lose their tension, they won't hold the opamp in place. I would never use these cheapo sockets in the gear I build.
None of these things are problems with the millmax sockets. If you want a quality component, it's worth the extra few dimes.
Sorry, I see the link I posted ended up at the category and not the actual socket. This is the one I use, which is 1/10 the price of the ones from your post.

8 Pin Machine Tooled IC Socket

I agree that the other stamped sockets are horrible.

As far as gold plating, I don't think that's necessary in an IC socket, but we can disagree.

Pete
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I recommend machine contact sockets as these 'grasps' the ic pin and provides mechanical stability as well as a low impedance connection. ( like the mil-max ones)

leaf-spring type (te connectivity) is a cheap alternative, but they do have a tendency to degrade. and they don't lock the chip in place.

gold pins don't mean much here. the electrons don't care.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno ➡️
I recommend machine contact sockets as these 'grasps' the ic pin and provides mechanical stability as well as a low impedance connection. ( like the mil-max ones)

leaf-spring type (te connectivity) is a cheap alternative, but they do have a tendency to degrade. and they don't lock the chip in place.

gold pins don't mean much here. the electrons don't care.
Yep. The ones I posted are machined pins, but not gold plated.

One thing I've seen happen with the spring leaf sockets in the past is the socket pins pull out, or they bugger up the IC pin. If you remove more than a few times, they get loose. I totally agree that they are not worth it.

The only downside: the machine pin sockets have a lot more thermal mass, so getting a good solder joint that actually bridges both sides of the board usually requires more effort. If you solder them like you would the leaf ones, you're probably not getting as good a joint as you think.

Pete
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…