looking for small vu meters - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking for small vu meters
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
looking for small vu meters

hey
im looking for small vu meters that will fit a 500 series module. i know of the sifam and nissei. but i would much prefer a traditional design to their "retro" look. can anyone point me towards an alternative?

thanks
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These would be cool if you could open them to change the scale to VU...
Mojo Direct Reading Panel Mount Lighted Current Meter

Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Check out www.jlmaudio.com Joe has analogue and digital ones that will fit.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks guys.
but those are the nissei meters. same as on ebay from china (with a much higher price tag and custom scale on the jlm page) im looking for a rectangular shape.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you dole out the requirements one at a time and make us guess, many of us will grow weary and just quit the game.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sorry, i did not mean to be rude. but i think my requirements are clear. a vu meter that will fit a 500 frame that is not a sifam or nissei...
i did find these by a company called anders... i never heared of the company thouh. anyone tried them?
VU Meter Reactangular - SU6S | Digital Meters | Energy Meters | Panel Meters | Shunts | Current Transformers
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrowley ➑️
These would be cool if you could open them to change the scale to VU...
Mojo Direct Reading Panel Mount Lighted Current Meter

This meter measures DC current, not AC voltage, so it would not work as a VU meter.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka ➑️
This meter measures DC current, not AC voltage, so it would not work as a VU meter.
ALL conventional d'Arsonval meters (the kind with a rotating coil and a waving needle) measure only DC current. Every VU meter you have ever seen measures only DC current. There are extra circuit components to rectify the AC voltage (audio, mains supply, whatever) to DC. Sometimes this circuitry is built into the meter to make it convenient for simple use. More modern applications use external rectification and filtering (of various types and time-constants) to simply drive a raw DC current meter with a "VU" scale. Some applications actually do this processing in the digital domain and simply output to an ADC to drive the d'Arsonval coil for a "retro" look.

Mr. Kulka is correct, that meter I suggested is a DC current meter. Chances are that the identical-looking meter with the "VU" scale is also a DC current meter with a different scale (one that says "VU").

There are many published circuits for the kind of circuits required to use any d'Arsonval meter as a "VU" meter.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Jlm audio has the buffer driver for vu meters.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JLM ones are nice

Here are two pictures of a 500 series style compressor I made, using one of the JLM Meters
Attached Thumbnails
looking for small vu meters-mp3500-prototype-009.jpg   looking for small vu meters-mp3500-prototype-007.jpg  
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hairball has some, but the smaller ones are out of stock right now

Hairball Audio
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc ➑️
Hairball has some, but the smaller ones are out of stock right now

Hairball Audio
hey guys

thanks for the replies. looks like there pretty much is just the nissei or anderson models. as said before, the jml are nisseis. the hairball ones are nisseis as well. and on ebay they are much cheaper.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…