Quantcast
Software to check the bandwidth of my desk - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software to check the bandwidth of my desk
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Software to check the bandwidth of my desk

Hi Guys any one know of any freeware software that I can use to check the bandwidth of my desk, am looking for something that will generate the test signal as well as record it and display a frequency graph.

Ideally for a Mac but Pc is also good.
I did find an interesting site with lots of useful stuff but the only one on there does not seem to work on my pc it crashes as soon as I start it, any way here is the link: PC Based Test Gear

looking forward to some links back
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Probably best to purchase a simple sine wave generator - as you will possibly want to look at what happens above 20KHz.

You should be able to use the meters on the mixer to give a fairly accurate indication of the level, but it won't give you a nice graphical presentation as some of the software will.

For serious investigation - the use of a proper audio analyser is the way really, but they are rather expensive, even to hire.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Mixermend
Thanks for your reply I found Tinnitus Sound Therapy Treatment - Tone generator & Tuner | AudioNotch very useful online generator, this is useful for testing the desk for faults but for bandwidth you need something that generates an impulse response and display the results on a graph.
at this stage I would rather not spend any money as you mentioned the generators are expensive, there is some good software out there I just want to know if anyone has used anything I can use for this purpose.
cheers
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are applications like this...

Soundcard Scope

But, of course, they are no better than your computer sound card.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FuzzMeasure Pro 3
Electroacoustics Toolbox

not free but you get pretty much full functioning demos....
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Indeed, the frequency response of your sound card (and generator) should go well above 20 kHz and probably below 20 Hz as well. The "proper" method to check frequency response is to sweep a sine wave generator over the range to be tested and measure the levels with a good meter, both items with a frequency response better than 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

Bri
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your suggestions, FuzzMesure pro looks very interesting I should give it a go over the weekend and see how I get on, I will keep you guys posted,in the mean time I would be very interested to hear form any one with diagrams or experience of CAD Maxcon II desk
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks Stickyfingers that FuzzMesure is great, I done some testing and I got some interesting results, I will having a closer look at them to see if i can find anything.

The upper limitation is the macbook built in sound card

first up is my monitor out am only testing 1 of 3 for now
Right channel 336ms delay and signal is lower then the left but I new that, the Left channel has a 35ms delay
I know there is a problem with the amplitude but why the delay difference?

www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Monitor Left channel.jpg

www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Monitor Right channel.jpg

Then I checked the Mix inserts
Left channel 336ms delay?
Right Channel 32ms delay?
Left channel the oscillations continue right up to 1Khz
strange

www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Mix ins Left.jpg

www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Mix ins Right.jpg
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…