Quantcast
Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors?

Have/had a soundcraft 124fx that I replaced with a focusrite 2i2. I now would like to run the notepad into the 2i2.

The notepad got wonky before it stopped working (tape in acted as tape out, only got sound out of tape in.... etc...)

I finally opened it up, and it looks like one of the electrolytic capacitors threw up all over the others near the power plug (these shouldn't be power supply capacitors, because the psu is external AC adapter... I think...) I should have prefaced this with I know little about electronic repair, but I know how to take apart a TV remote, and usually put it back together. I'm not a moron, and I own a soldering iron, even if I'm not super with it.

I don't know if it's under warranty since I opened it (no stickers were removed...) but the cost to ship it across the country... might be cheaper to repair/replace...

Pictures attached of the capacitors, can take more if needed - wanting to know how to repair this thing! Any help is appreciated!

One looks to be reverse of the others, not sure if this is normal, but it ran for a while before it died, so I assume it's how it's supposed to be. They are 1000 uf 25v caps at 85c, the closest I can find here are 35v don't know if they'd be too big to fit in the case, etc. Should I try to find 25v 105c caps? Would they be less likely to blow? I like to leave my gear on for extended periods of time (16 hours a day, generally. I'm a workaholic...)

Any other info needed, ask away, I know I'm a noob in this mess, feel free to treat me like one. (but save the "ask google" I've been doing that for a while now...)

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors?-img_4912.jpg   Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors?-img_4914.jpg   Soundcraft Notepad 124fx replace capacitors?-img_4915.jpg  
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is this in the wrong section? Or is this forum for buying new stuff, not fixing old

Can someone point me to a place where people mod and repair electronics, if this is not it?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That looks like glue to me, not electrolytic fluid. You don't have any pictures from the top, but it appears to me that the one on the far left might be bulging at the top. If it is, I'd replace it. That's usually a sign that something's wrong. Keep in mind, however, that even if that is a problem, it may not solve your problem. You might have other problems somewhere in the circuit. Many times I've worked on a circuit where one component kept going out because another component that looked fine had failed. Still, electrolytic capacitors of this size are pretty cheap.

As a general rule of thumb when replacing a capacitor, you want to get as close to the capacitance of the original as possible. As for the voltage rating, go with anything at the original level or higher, assuming it will fit. Sometimes a higher voltage rating on a capacitor will make the unit more robust. As far as the temperature rating goes, I'd either get the same or a higher temp. rated cap. But if I got a capacitor rated at a higher temperature, I wouldn't expect it to last any longer unless I knew ahead of time that heat was an issue. 85 degrees C is pretty hot!

You might have better luck in the Geekslutz forum. There are a lot of guys there who know more about this stuff than I.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Never heard of geekslutz, I'll look into it, thanks - as far as I can tell, it's burst - all the glue on the board is clear, and in a couple spots a blue/green, but this is yellowy-browny-redish burnt.

As I said, I was keeping it powered on for about 16 hours per day for months before this happened, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised - small format mixers like this aren't intended to be used as consoles -_-'
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Soundcraft Notepad (power?) Bad Cap(s)?

[[Posted this in regular gear forum, didn't know this little corner existed! Super cool, I think I might hang out for a while!]]

Have/had a soundcraft 124fx that I replaced with a focusrite 2i2. I now would like to run the notepad into the 2i2.

The notepad got wonky before it stopped working (tape in acted as tape out, only got sound out of tape in.... etc...)

I finally opened it up, and it looks like one of the electrolytic capacitors threw up all over the others near the power plug (these shouldn't be power supply capacitors, because the psu is external AC adapter... I think...) I should have prefaced this with I know little about electronic repair, but I know how to take apart a TV remote, and usually put it back together. I'm not a moron, and I own a soldering iron, even if I'm not super with it.

I don't know if it's under warranty since I opened it (no stickers were removed...) but the cost to ship it across the country... might be cheaper to repair/replace...

Pictures attached of the capacitors, can take more if needed - wanting to know how to repair this thing! Any help is appreciated!

One looks to be reverse of the others, not sure if this is normal, but it ran for a while before it died, so I assume it's how it's supposed to be. They are 1000 uf 25v caps at 85c, the closest I can find here are 35v don't know if they'd be too big to fit in the case, etc. Should I try to find 25v 105c caps? Would they be less likely to blow? I like to leave my gear on for extended periods of time (16 hours a day, generally. I'm a workaholic...)

Any other info needed, ask away, I know I'm a noob in this mess, feel free to treat me like one. (but save the "ask google" I've been doing that for a while now...)

Thanks again!
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The AC adapter on these desks is just that, AC. It is really just the transformer part of the power supply in a plastic case by itself. So, the actual power supply (rectifier, regulators, filter caps) are inside the desk, as you saw. The 35v caps are fine, better really, but it would be a good idea to try and figure out why one blew up before you put another one in.
BTW, your pics didn't come through.
Best,
Ike
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't know how I would find out why it blew the first time - I did run it like 16 hours a day every day for probably 100 days... I would imagine these caps should last longer than 1600 hours, but what do I know... and maybe there was a heat issue, I don't know for sure. If I replace them it would be with 105c caps (that seems to be all I can find - TV replacement caps, I suppose...)

and I might be having issues with the image uploader, I'll try again here:
((edit: it says I already uploaded them in this thread... here's the original thread with pics: https://gearspace.com/board/low-end-...apacitors.html))
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually, the guy who answered you in the other forum was right on. That cap on the left that is bulging, it could have just failed over time. I would replace all three and move on. Don't bother trying to glue them down, just make sure you do a good job soldering them, and make absolutely sure you get them in the right way round or they WILL blow up. Note that it's the negative side of the cap that is marked, but the circuit board will probably have a "+" sign for the positive end of the cap. Another clue, is that on radial leaded caps like these, the positive lead is longer.
Best,
Ike
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Replacing the caps is relatively cheap but it does not really explain 'death' of the unit (no sound at all) and has nothing to do with tape in / out issues.
Failing supply caps would usually be preceeded by excessive humming sometimes for months before actual 'failure' so if there is no sound it is probablt that something else has failed. The tops of the caps should not 'bulge', they are designed as a weak point to prevent an explosion in extreme circumstances.
Matt S
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So how do I diagnose what made it blow in the first place? It's not that I mind a few screws, it's that this board magically fits into it's case, and I'll be lucky to get it back in this time, so I'd rather repair it fully before putting the case back on.

How do you diagnose something bizarre like that? sound coming out of the tape in jacks?

there's nothing else visibly damaged anywhere near the tape jacks - could the electrolytic fluid caused a short that would wonk it out? If so, how do I clean this burnt stuff off the board? I've also never really dealt with a double sided printed board before.

(and sorry for running this thread in two places, seems to be different people hanging out in different forums, I guess?)
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
there's nothing else visibly damaged anywhere near the tape jacks - could the electrolytic fluid caused a short that would wonk it out? If so, how do I clean this burnt stuff off the board? I've also never really dealt with a double sided printed board before.

(and sorry for running this thread in two places, seems to be different people hanging out in different forums, I guess?)
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did type a very detailed reply to this, but I have no idea where it went. This thread posted in two different forums thing is problematic.
Anyway, the brown stuff is just old glue, nothing to do with the caps innards.
The double sided board thing is a challenge, but I think I've posted about that on GS before...
Best,
Ike
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I scraped the brown off with a razor, and it was bubbly like it had boiled or was burnt. The first cap (the one that's opposite polarity from the others) is domed at the top and seems larger in the mid section too, like it should have gone on a diet... This is the only thing that seems even remotely out of order on this board (visibly). Other than with my eyes, is there some diagnostic test I should be doing for components?

(and is it possible for a mod to merge these threads?)
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…