Quantcast
Parting out Allen and heath System 8 console, what is good? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Parting out Allen and heath System 8 console, what is good?
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Parting out Allen and heath System 8 console, what is good?

So my Allen and heath System 8 console has been giving me more problems than its worth. I didnt pay much for it, so instead of trying to sell it, i want to part it out.

So far I've racked up one of the channel strips with its own PSU. I plan on racking up some more for friends/myself.

The only things that look to be worth anything are the SQ10 VU meters and the ALPS 100mm faders which are just like these - fader

Is it even worth trying to sell these? Are the meters or faders sort after by anyone? What other desks use these faders?
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Firstly, welcome!

I too have a System 8 and have a slow project (amongst all the other projects) of restoring and upgrading it. You can see some of my progress here:

http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/...4&subsubmenu=5

Latest news is I got hold of an Allen & Heath MPS14 power supply to use with mine (it didn't come with a power supply) which gives me a nice boost to the power rails from 15V to 17V for a bit more headroom.

In answer to your specific questions:

The SQ10 meters are still made and still available from many suppliers. Here in the UK they are stocked by the main electronic component distributors, so I'd guess that unless someone wanted vintage meters they'd buy new ones.

You have 100mm Alps faders, so you have a Mk II or Mk III desk (the II is brown, the III is grey). Again, standard part widely available and used in many desks.

Several other people have done what you're doing. "The Convicted" did some impressive work, cap replacements, etc, a couple of years back. This was his 8-channel project:

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...amps-sale.html

Cheers,
Neil
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
The meters are probably the only 'valuable' parts unless someone wants to get into 'upgrading' the thing as a whole. If it was getting unreliable it suggests that it has not had a 'good' life so the faders will be on the way out and so on.
If someone just wants a 'preamp' it is simpler to start with a 'chip' preamp, which is likely to be better quality (THAT / SSM / BB).
Matt S
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson ➑️
The meters are probably the only 'valuable' parts
Agreed, although with both RS and Farnell selling them at around Β£9 ($14) new I guess you'd get a few dollars each, used.

Neil
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
There is a cue for a gag here that 'the sum is worth more than the parts'!
Matt S
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi!
what version is it? the second or the third? (I assume that it is not a first issue, because you mention it has 100mm faders and the System 8 mk I only had 90mm faders. Oddly enough I prefer the look of the MKI...

if it is a mkIII I might be interested in a few faders, and the talkback mic if you have it...

thanks

2N
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the replies.

Its the MkII version.

It wasnt a bad desk really, I liked the EQ on bass guitar. The channel strip circuit boards are 3cms longer than a 19" rack enclosure which is annoying, so I had to make up a quick and dirty MDF box to prototype it. I think for the cost of $5 mdf, $15 for -+15 PSU its worth racking up some of the pres.

The last owner attacked every pot, switch and fader with Caigs deoxit, I think thats what caused its demise.

I might chuck the meters on ebay and see what happens, I dont know about the faders though.

I like what "The Convicted" did, something I might consider if I can find an easy way to cut the 1.5mm steel sheet its made from

2N1305,

I'm based in Australia, but I'm happy to send up a few 100mm ALPS faders for you for a few bucks + cost of postage. The model number is 437M - 10ka. Anyway, I'll send a PM through.

I dont think the MkII had talkback mic, only an XLR...
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I recently purchased a System 8 and am having trouble with the signal flow. I'm used to working with live boards. I can't seem to get any signal from any mic channel. Could someone help me out with an order of operations to get levels?
Thanks
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Is your mic phantom-powered? Which output are you listening to?
Old 10th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
are you still going ahead with the parting out? are your faders stock? i am looking to do a load of work to my 1616mk1 (including giving it a new 'arctic' colour scheme). my master faders have been upgraded by a previous owner to beautifully smooth penny + giles faders which i cant seem to get hold of anymore. just wondering if yours are stock?
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm looking at putting an order into OMEG for the custom pots used in the System 8 desk (especially the ones with brackets). Would anyone be interested in some spares for themselves? If so, let me know by PM ASAP!!

Thanks,
Neil
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…