Quantcast
wiring thoughts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wiring thoughts
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
wiring thoughts

I'm helping a buddy wire his studio. It's a well desgined studio in theory, but the framing hasn't even been started yet. Basically, the walls are metal stud construction in a brick commercial building with a mess load of soundproofing layers and floating floors etc. As far as prewiring the rooms for cable/ internet, mic / line connections, video/ computer connections, speaker / amp and headphone connections, is there a standard practice in place for wire management. Very basic I/O... custom wallplates hardwired to console, racks, computer room and all rooms including lounge, control room, hallway etc....Do people use conduit...metal or PVC, are the conduits sealed for soundproofing? is the wire just run though the walls and floors? I know we need to stay away from AC power,but what do people do most often?
Old 15th June 2006

🎧 15 years
Hi Phil

What I do when designing a studio is "build in" cable ducting. This might be in the floor, or along the walls at floor level. To pass thru a soundproof wall means that the soundproofing will be compromised, but there are ways to minimise this. One method is to use flexible conduit rather than rigid, and once the wires have been installed, stuff fibreglass into the conduit. Always make sure you can gain access to the truncking in the future by having removable lids. I don't think it's necessary to have all the wiring enclosed in steel, wood truncking and plastic conduit is fine. Mic lines are the most sensitive to noise (but you proably know that already!)

Good luck with it.
Tim.
Old 16th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Calculate the maximum amount of space you need for audio cables in ducting / through holes then treble it, there is never enough space. Also consider if the run is going round corners that you need room to manoevre cables maybe with connectors, later if not now. Small bags of sand or 'plasticine' for bunging up the holes, more hand friendly than fibreglass.
Don't forget to add the odd pot of rodent killer, it saves having your expensive multicore eaten. Tim has added the rest.
Matt S
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…