Quantcast
Any limit on length of BNC-to-BNC word clock cable? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any limit on length of BNC-to-BNC word clock cable?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Any limit on length of BNC-to-BNC word clock cable?

I have a Kurzweil DMTi, which is basically a box for converting the 48K stereo digital outputs of a Kurzweil K2600 syth before the outputs go into a 44.1K/24-bit Pro Tools session. I sync the DMTi with a Big Ben (which is driven by a Lavry Master clock). I want to locate the DMTi 35 ft. away from the Big Ben.

Is there a problem running the BNC-to-BNC RG 59 coaxial word clock cable that far? Any greater risk that I will have timing problems with the run that long?

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
I have a Kurzweil DMTi, which is basically a box for converting the 48K stereo digital outputs of a Kurzweil K2600 syth before the outputs go into a 44.1K/24-bit Pro Tools session. I sync the DMTi with a Big Ben (which is driven by a Lavry Master clock). I want to locate the DMTi 35 ft. away from the Big Ben.

Is there a problem running the BNC-to-BNC RG 59 coaxial word clock cable that far? Any greater risk that I will have timing problems with the run that long?

Thanks.
I believe that the Digi site recomends 50' max for 192k and 100' for 96k, but this is also dependent on the strength of the word clock transmiter. The Big Ben should be more than adequit, and will warn you if there is to much resistance on the cable. I believe the longest WC cable by Apogee is 10 meters, which would put you pretty close.
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just a word of advice to anyone else asking themselves these questions...Sizzleboy made a great underlying point: check the website for recommended cable length. I Recently got the BLA Microclock and their suggested cable length is no longer than about 6.5' (2 meters). I guess that has to do with the strength of the word clock transmitter, however, some say "the longer the cable is, the more the signal is degraded." Eh?

Now, I'm sure the difference in a $5 Hosa cable or a nicely made (perhaps even custom made) BNC cable. Thoughts, anyone?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…