Ugly LA-4, should I bother? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ugly LA-4, should I bother?
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ugly LA-4, should I bother?

Well,

Last year I was interning at a studio that was promising money, but instead of the unlikely event that I was going to get paid by these weirdos I asked if I could take an LA-4 that they weren't using for esthetic reasons off their hands. My thinking was that I could get some parts and bring it back to spec, but it's been a pain trying to get the parts.

The issues are:

-Some @ssho!e gouged his name into the upper left hand corner of the face plate. You can supposedly get replacement faceplates from JBL for $65.

-The VU meter's assembly that holds it to the faceplate is missing the funny "props" that the screws fasten into, meaning the VU meter flops into the chassis.

-The fuse cap is missing, so some "creative" guy soldered the fuse into its correct place in the electrical pathway. You can buy replacements for the fusecap for less than a dollar from JBL.

Other than these problems, the LA-4 is working.

Now, should I bother fixing this bugger or should I just sell it as spare parts? I have considered sending it to Bob Alach to get modded...but seriously, I need other gear (and cash) more than a compressor.

What do y'all think, should I fix it or put it up as junk for sale?

On a side note, the place I got this thing from wanted me to glue the meter into place and sell the bloody thing on Ebay to some unsuspecting sucker without warning about any of the above (this was one of my tasks, selling their junk). So I was trying to do everyone a favour, really.

They have subsequently been kicked off of Ebay for some unknown reason. Guess their practices eventually got the better of them.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Any comments at all would be great!

Even "you sucker!"
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
silver face good condition is $400 avg
Black face good cond is $500-$600 avg
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Maybe I should just sell it for $200.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I purchased a pair of these about 7 years ago for $20. They too were in sad looking condition. But I wouldn't take $1000 for them. Hang on to them. Get them repaired if needed! You will be glad you did.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know what you're saying, I would actually love to get it modded into optical bliss by Alactronics. The sight of it sitting there all dejected is bothering me, tho.

I guess it all depends on how the summer goes. If I can get enough freelance (live, A/V) work to spare cash I may hold on to it.

Damn, I should do my freakin' taxes. The govt owes me.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…