Quantcast
EL34 Tubes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EL34 Tubes
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
EL34 Tubes

I'm looking for a pair of el34s for a Smooth CLEAN sound. I like the sound of the svetlanas 9608 (5) but they ring like crazy, with tube dampers. Bought a pair of GT's (7) they are too 'sterile'.

Please advise ? SWEET and CLEAN what am I looking for and how do they differ?
Old 5th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My recommendation would be the EL34's from Winged C (old Svetlana). They have a very open sound. You can get them from www.tubesandmore.com for pretty cheap, and they only charge $2/tube for matching.
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Very good, I'll try'em... thanks....

Anyone know what makes a tube sound ???
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru
I use 6CA7's for EL34 apps. Tighter bass, cleaner highs, less breakup. The Electro Harmonix versions are good.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th May 2006 | Show parent
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve Nickels
Bought a pair of GT's (7) they are too 'sterile'.
Whoa... tutt Groove Tubes currently makes 6 different types of EL-34's. So before anybody goes recommending the EL-34 of their choice, (already too late) how about finding out which one of those 6 types you don't like.

-Tony
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gotta add that Groove Tubes bought and is using the original GE equipment to make their power tubes. That should insure a pretty decent sound.

Paul
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paully
Gotta add that Groove Tubes bought and is using the original GE equipment to make their power tubes. That should insure a pretty decent sound.

Paul
That's ONLY the GT-6L6GE tubes which are "partially" made in the US, which do sound very nice.

-Tony
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra
That's ONLY the GT-6L6GE tubes which are "partially" made in the US, which do sound very nice.-Tony
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We realized that when we found that you have to snip off one pin to make them fit in the old (original) sockets. heh heh Ya, that's the truth! Don't know who supplies the bases, but they really should correct that one.

Paul
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently tested a bunch of different EL34's for a Marshall clone I made. In summary--the SED Winged C (old Svetlana) have been my current production favorites and still are. I hear rumors from Lord Valve that the quality is waning though. Here's my impressions on various tubes:

New Sensor Svetlana EL34: cheap, decent tonal balance, good value, although not as 3D sounding as others
New Sensor Mullard reissue EL34: pricey, tight bottom end, rich midrange, very nice
SED Winged C EL34: great midrange and shimmering high end, solid bottom end, best price-performance ratio
Electro-Harmonix 6CA7: bigger and deeper bass than true EL34's, slightly scooped sounding, still nice, but lacked a little depth like Svetlanas
vintage Mullard EL34's: like a fine wine...smooth, harmonically rich and complex, stellar midrange, tight bass. We have a winner.

Brad
Gear Guru

I've used SED and NOS Mullards too ... you can't go wrong there.

Groove Tubes EL34LS in about a #6 can be nice if you want more wattage/headroom (which most people dont).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone get a chance to include the JJ Tesla EL34L or the EL34Ls "Sky Blue" in their evals?
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra
Whoa... tutt Groove Tubes currently makes 6 different types of EL-34's. So before anybody goes recommending the EL-34 of their choice, (already too late) how about finding out which one of those 6 types you don't like.

-Tony

Tony,

I had no idea...Thanks for the multiple EL34 GT heads up...

I was just on your website and I'm gonna try the GT-GE's next...

The GTs I just got and did not like were the C's...sales guy was a dope, as I had read about GT-GE's....

I'm realy looking for 'clean' sound as I have removed EH 12ax7's Pres/phase and loaded RCAs 12au7's.
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just to highlight the Groove Tube EL34's...

GT-EL34LS - Made in Slovik Republic, "wings" added to the plates for more output
GT-EL34C - Made in China, softer breakup, least expensive of the EL34's
GT-EL34R - Made in Russia, small bottle similar to the standard EH-EL34
GT-EL34R2 - Made in the other Russian factory, similar to the Svetlana EL-34
GT-EL34M - Made in China, exact copies of the famed Mullard XF2 Dual Getter
GT-6CA7GE - Partially made in the US, Big bottles, big bottom end.

Of course some of these are now hard to get and only avalilable to what GT has in stock at the moment. For example I think they are all out of the 6CA7GE's and are not making them while they are tring to produce the EL34M's which are in very high demand right now.

I just installed the last set of 6CA7GE's I had in stock on a Ampeg ReverbRocket 2x12 combo reissue. What a sweet clean sound! Low end was extremly big, bold and tight. Tough on the pocketbook though.

The EL34M's are the newest most sought after tubes right now. I've put them in 3 or 4 Marshall's so far with very good results. In fact I just got in a set for myself to install in my Hiwatt and see if they are all what they are cracked up to be. I have a feeling I will be pleasantly supprised.

-Tony
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…