Quantcast
DIY Help: Mono output should be stereo - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Help: Mono output should be stereo
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DIY Help: Mono output should be stereo

Wired up my passive summing box last night. 4 mono channels with 14.3k resistors, 10 stereo pairs with 10k resistors, stereo output with 220 ohm shunt across L-L+ and R-R+.

Hooked it all up, and I've got sound, but instead of stereo, I've only got mono. Soloed a guitar track in my DAW that was going through the stereo guitar bus to a stereo pair on my summer, slid the pan fader left and right in my DAW....When centered, it was a little louder, but there was no left/right, only center.

I point-to-point wired this rather than using parallel bus wire. I'm guessing the mono channels is where I screwed this up somehow.

For the 4 mono channels, I first soldered my resistors to my -/+ xlr pins, then soldered leads from one -/+ to the -/+ of the next one. On the 4th, I soldered leads from the -/+ of the last mono channel to the -/+ of the first stereo pair (Mono 4 - to Left 1 - AND Right 1 -, same for positive). Proper resistors on all XLR pins, no shorts or wires touching that shouldn't be, etc.

This is my first DIY project, and I'm sad to admit that I don't know a whole lot about electronics like this. Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong? I can upload a picture after work this evening if it'll help.
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I'm reading this correctly, I think you are correct that your transition from the mono channels to the stereo ones is where you are having problems. I think you need to have a pair of resistors between the output of the mono group and EACH of L & R buses, otherwise Left and Right are just shorted together by the mono signal.
Best,
Ike
Old 26th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Zimbel ➡️
If I'm reading this correctly, I think you are correct that your transition from the mono channels to the stereo ones is where you are having problems. I think you need to have a pair of resistors between the output of the mono group and EACH of L & R buses, otherwise Left and Right are just shorted together by the mono signal.
Best,
Ike
Hmm...OK, I think I get it. I'll mess with it as soon as I get home and see if that fixes it.

If not, I'll just skip the mono channels all together. The only real reason I wanted them was to get the extra little bit of separation and clarity from the kick/snare/bass, but I think a stereo bus out would be just fine for those.
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just unhook the mono feed from one side and you'll know right away.
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You're the man Ike. Got it fixed up (switched to two mono inputs, 6 stereo pairs) and it works perfectly. Thanks for your advice!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…