Quantcast
Weird guitar wiring question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird guitar wiring question
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weird guitar wiring question

My brother rewired his strat so it's his configuration not mine so don't ask me why but it does seem kind of cool.

He has 3 humbuckers each wired to a separate 500k push pull pots and the push pull coil split each humbucker. There are no tone nobs

From there he has each pot wired to the output jack and doesn't have a 5 way or 3 way selector wired anywhere. This way he can control the output of each pickup separately and have one and half volume one at full and one all the way off if he wanted to.
Or he could have 2 off and leave one on.

This works except if he turns anyone of the pickups volume pots to 0 there is no output on anyone of them but if he has it to 1 everything works.

I'm hoping someone understands whats going on here. It was kind of hard to explain but hopefully someone can help if there is any other info needed just tell me and I will try to explain the best I can.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
3 humbuckers and push pull pots that split the humbuckers? Sounds to me like he's looped them in series somehow.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah 3 humbuckers to 3 pushpull pots. He said he has it wired each 1 humbucker to 1 pot strait to the output jack. I know a little about electronics not much about guitar wiring but yeah that's what it sounded like to me too.

From what he told me what he did I wouldn't know what was wrong so just looking for suggestions.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like when any one pot is off it is shorting the whole signal to ground.
iz
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey this is a fun tip.

Weird is spelled like this "weird". You will always remember it because it's a strange case when the "e" comes before the "I" and that's in fact weird.
Old 9th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The loop is happening at the output jack if I was to guess - since all three are tied in there. Make sure he is running the Pickup wire to the right tab on the pot; and the output wire from the middle
tab to the output jack.
Originally Gibson did this in reverse on the 50's Les Pauls...if you had the pickups combined one volume would cut both out.
Here is the Modern Gibson Les Paul Wiring schematic - all he needs to do is bypass the toggle and go straight to the output jack.
The Coil Split makes it a little more confused...but it will workout the same.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey this is a fun tip.

Weird is spelled like this "weird". You will always remember it because it's a strange case when the "e" comes before the "I" and that's in fact weird.
I have been on this site for somewhere around 4 years and I have learned a lot about recording and things like that but, that probably be the most helpful tip I have gotten. The written word is an art don't let anybody tell you different.

Quote:
Sounds like when any one pot is off it is shorting the whole signal to ground.
iz
I think you might be right I don't know if he has the ground from each pick up wired to each pot then to the ground or each pick up wired strait to the ground. It's one of those two ways Im pretty sure. Tomorrow I'm going to have him open it up for me.

Not sure if it will fix it or not but can I run everything pickups and pots included to one common ground on the back of one of the pots then that pot to the jack? Knowing how to properly ground it even if it didnt fix it would help
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The loop is happening at the output jack if I was to guess - since all three are tied in there. Make sure he is running the Pickup wire to the right tab on the pot; and the output wire from the middle
tab to the output jack.
Originally Gibson did this in reverse on the 50's Les Pauls...if you had the pickups combined one volume would cut both out.
Here is the Modern Gibson Les Paul Wiring schematic - all he needs to do is bypass the toggle and go straight to the output jack.
The Coil Split makes it a little more confused...but it will workout the same.
Just seen this post after I posted mine a lot of what you guys are saying makes sense. I'll look at everything tomorrow hopefully thanks to your guys help I will be able to sort it out.
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
All he needs to do is swap the input and output wires on each pot around. With all 3 pots in parallel to the output jack you have to go in (input) on the wiper (center terminal) and go out (output) on the top end (outside terminal) of the pot.

-Tony
Old 10th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➑️
Sounds like .... zero vol position = SHORT CIRCUIT to ground for all PUs.
tutt No the way he has it wired now means that as soon as turns one pot to zero you have a short to ground on the input to the amp not the PU's. Which means the the other two pots won't do anything until you remove the short by turning the pot up a little. The PU's are all seeing 500k to ground which is the value of the pot no matter which position the pot is in.

Swapping the in and out of the pot will put the 500k pot load on the input to the amp. (actually it will be 3x500k in parallel) no matter which position the pot is in. Then when you turn one pot to zero it will ground just that PU and the others will remain on.

-Tony
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra ➑️
tutt No the way he has it wired now means that as soon as turns one pot to zero you have a short to ground on the input to the amp not the PU's. Which means the the other two pots won't do anything until you remove the short by turning the pot up a little. The PU's are all seeing 500k to ground which is the value of the pot no matter which position the pot is in.

Swapping the in and out of the pot will put the 500k pot load on the input to the amp. (actually it will be 3x500k in parallel) no matter which position the pot is in. Then when you turn one pot to zero it will ground just that PU and the others will remain on.

-Tony
+1. What does all this (the guitar) SOUND like anyway??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Zimbel ➑️
Yeah, in the 70s it was popular to cobble together all sorts of strange things, and I had more than my share of experimental pickups, preamp boards, multiple switches and pickup configurations, etc.

The last guitar I had made was on a PRS style, with an LP wood selection and a pair of Classic 57s, with the only nod to 'tweaky' being the electronics bypass switch. (Pickups sound a lot better without the pots and caps in the circuit.)
Meanwhile, everyone seems to gravitate to my 1960 Musicmaker. If I ever have another guitar built it will only have 1 pickup, a volume and a bypass switch. I'm either getting lazy, or I finally know what I want.
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
To tell the truth I'm not really sure. It a bunch of 80s ish Semore Duncans I think and he play through a bunch of pedals through a laney. Semores are really good pickups but to me it sounds like a guitar ran through a bunch of delays and overdrive pedals and played way to loud. Wouldn't matter which guitar or amp because all the tones coming from the pedals.

It looks cool though. It looks like a guitar someone from the 80's who liked to play screaming leads would play. Its a blond strat with a black pickgaurd with 3 semore duncans in it.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…