Quantcast
Mic patchbay grounding schemes - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic patchbay grounding schemes
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sunken City, people have been giving you good advice which you seem to think is not good advice, because it is the opposite of what you want to do. Then please, go ahead and do it your way, but dont come crying back here when it doesn't work. One of the things about accumulated wisdom is that it is that. You asked the question, got good answers, but you just cant see the wood for the trees. Please stop posting if you dont want to take the advice.
Old 3rd August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug ➡️
Sunken City, people have been giving you good advice which you seem to think is not good advice, because it is the opposite of what you want to do. Then please, go ahead and do it your way, but dont come crying back here when it doesn't work. One of the things about accumulated wisdom is that it is that. You asked the question, got good answers, but you just cant see the wood for the trees. Please stop posting if you dont want to take the advice.
On my thread I did receive good advice. At no point did I say I wouldn't take the advice given to me about not putting mic lines thru a patchbay(or any other advise) but that doesnt change the fact that questions in this thread about grounding in a full normal stituation didn't get addressed even when OP asked twice. And still a third time when I asked. Maybe I was just being a tad lazy with search functions and should just of just kept reading instead of posting.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Question: "Hey I'm trying to make this cake recipe and I don't understand step X"
Answer: "Just make a pie, it's way better than cake"

Everyone here is taking their own time to post. No one has to. Sure OP should consider the advice given, but if people aren't willing to answer the question that's being asked then why do they bother posting? The OP has already stated several times that he's not paying for an XLR patchbay but people continue to harp on him about it. Either provide some new insight or move on.

No, TT patchbays for mic signals are not ideal, but they're used a ton and can work fine. There are some patchbays (I believe Audio Accessories) that have normalled sleeves, but I don't know about the Switchcrafts. Strapping the ground/sleeve connection is fine from the perspective of 48V, as it is only looking for a return path to the pre it originates at, but could introduce a ground hum. It's more dependent on how good the grounding scheme is in your studio, you'll just have to test it and see.

That being said, I do not recommend normalling the mic inputs. It increases the risk of screwing something up with 48V since any of your mic inputs could potentially have phantom engaged at any time and you can't check when you're out in the studio. It's better to make the connection to the pre when you're in the control room and can verify that phantom is off before patching. In addition, hard patching will be a more reliable connection over time than normalling, since you can clean that connection easier just by inserting a cable.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You may want to consider a punch version of the tt bay, or if you already have your solder switchcraft, putting it on multipins so you can have Rapco Horizon pre-assemble your next bay in order to make an easy swap when the arc damage on the first bay's switch contacts gets unbearable. Expensive? Sure...but it'll seem like a bargain when the overhaul comes due.
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They make patchbays with selectable grounding and selectable normalling... ya, they cost more but it may be worth investigating.

While I do agree that tt patching mic level signals with phantom through the bay is by absolutely no means a best practice from an electrical standpoint, the studio at my university (so LOTS of inexperienced operators) had outboard pres and board pres in the console tt bay. Some of them (api) had completely inaccessible phantom switches on back panels and operators also forgot pretty much constantly to ‘manage’ phantom power while patching.

Even the instructors patched the APIs without concern when doing commercial work... and in the four-five years I was there, we never lost a mic pre, output stage, or microphone because of this practice...

So it is something to keep in mind, but in practice seems to not be quite as big of a deal as people make it out to be... I dunno...

-B
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Also, another option is ghielmetti. These patchbays rock! They are non shorting and use small jumpers to normal. It’s as good of a connection as an xlr bay provides, but it’s higher channel count and you use jumpers to normal or denormal instead of using short xlr cables... They are absolutely the best option IMO but they are expensive and the patch cables are also pretty steep... that said, it’s the no compromise solution and you can even get them with backlit label strips!!

-B
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…