The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
boss dr-202 repair
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
boss dr-202 repair

So I picked up an "as-is" Boss DR-202 on the bay for $30 and am hoping to get it working. I doubt these are available, but does anyone have or know where to get the schematics for this thing or a service manual?

I've done a little testing and a lot of the unit works, but it isn't receiving data a section of the pads including the start stop buttons as well as the drum/key pads. That is with the exception of the record button which seems fine. When I start the unit, the buttons which have led's light up briefly and I've check for continuity between the two main circuit boards inside. I'm just not very good at following signal through a circuit board and I'm not sure how to hunt down the culprit.

Any help would be awesome. No idea what the last owner did to this thing... probably blew it up, but I'd be cool to bring it back to life.

***EDIT***

Update: I was able to hook the unit up and appear to be able to control everything via midi. The "start", "roll" and "mute" buttons all lit up when they were supposed to. Its just that when i physically press these buttons, they don't seem to send anything to the unit. Looks like these controls are the only thing that is broken. I just don't know what part of the board to zone in on or if there is anything I can actually replace. :\
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If the device is โ€œaliveโ€, but does not work properly, firstly perform hard reset procedure:

1. Turn on the power while pressing down [MUTE] and [ROLL] buttons at the same time.
Keep pressing until the following appears on the display
Factory Reset
Mode=All

2. Select โ€œAllโ€ by turning the VALUE DIAL.

3. Press [TAP/ENTER] button when you have chosen the reset type.
The following appears on the display
Are You Sure?
Yes No

4. Press [TAP/ENTER] button again to execute the factory reset.
The following appears on the display
DR-202 Dr.GROOVE
Please Wait

5. The device will automatically return to the start up display.
Old 13th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah, I thought of that, but unfortunately the roll and mute buttons are among the ones that aren't functioning. I tried it anyway, but I might as well have been holding nothing at all. I got no response.
Old 14th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Disassemble the unit and clean internal contact surfaces
of the related rubber switch pad by means of alcohol.

If this fails, you need to perform professional repair.
Old 14th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I"ll give that a try tonight. I assume that professional repair would end up costing more than the $35 I paid for the unit, so if I can't do the job, it will stay as-is.

Luckily it is totally controllable by midi... I just have to figure out how to interact with all of the buttons. I can play all the kits and bass synths with midi notes, but I have no idea how to control the other buttons. I know they are by controller code, but the manual has a very confusing "midi implementation" section. I suppose trial and error might be the way to go.
Old 29th May 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thank the Music Gods for GS. I bought a DR 202 today. $25 in mint. No ac adaper ,but I had an extra one. They guy sold it so cheap because some buttons did not work. 3 minute search led me to to GS 1 minute reset function. Now it's worth $120- $150 ha ha ha GT.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My Boss dr 202 button pads quit working on mine also how do I fix it myself?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…