The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
behringer ada8000 mod
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
behringer ada8000 mod

a behringer ada8000 getting modded

one of the new chips replaced. I replaced all input opamps, but decided on not doing the output cause of the dfegad psu design and not hearing any major improvment in the chips

Inspecting the solder joints before testing stike no smoke

testing for a few hrs no problems everything went smooth It's in the mail an i gots $
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only mod I need to do to mine is to somehow put the Mic inputs on the back of the units, via a patchbay or whatever. It seems like the only way to do it is to put a hole in the back right side, away from the torrid, and run cables out to a patch bay.

Front side inputs are the worst, I'd rather have the unit without analog outputs, or make it two rack spaces.
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
funny I hate back inputs lol but you should be able to grab a xlr patch bay for pretty cheap
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All that technology and can't fix the handle on that drawer. heh

So, Doulos, are you saying you modded it then sold it, or is something else in the mail? Also, what chips did you end up using and what was it you didn't hear any major improvement in (just the output half)?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 ➑️
funny I hate back inputs lol but you should be able to grab a xlr patch bay for pretty cheap
My problem is the snake wraping around to the front of the rack is usually quite a stretch from the console and most snakes don't splay that far. The snake not just looks messy, but it sometimes hides other things in the rack and has moved faders on a graph on me once or twice. I could mount the ada's on the back rail, facing the back of the rack, but then I have to walk around to adjust gains and see the signal lights.

I have a single unit cable managment unit that I will try, but I think unsoldering the XLR outs and replacing them with female XLRs is in my future, as it's cheaper than making up a sub snake.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Care to share which opamp you swapped with and why?

Was this the only modification done?

Nice work
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis ➑️
All that technology and can't fix the handle on that drawer. heh

So, Doulos, are you saying you modded it then sold it, or is something else in the mail? Also, what chips did you end up using and what was it you didn't hear any major improvement in (just the output half)?

Thanks!
ha! lost the drawer handle years ago so thats that

I modded it an sold it I went with tle0272s 10 times the slew rate and the same current draw. I changed out the output amp with a MC33079DT didn't notice much diffrence so left it stock also the current draw was around 8ma a chip. I wasnt sure raising it 32 ma would be wise knowing behringers rep with psu failure

I'm about to pick up a second and see if I can make better preamp stages for this thing
Old 19th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cracked open my 0704 date-coded ada8000 to find quite a different beast from the one you modded doulos30
Attached Thumbnails
behringer ada8000 mod-0704ada8000.jpg  
TSM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy ➑️
Cracked open my 0704 date-coded ada8000 to find quite a different beast from the one you modded doulos30
I'm modding my 8000. It is the older style like yours. Replacing the TL's on the input to LT1359's. Will let you know how it goes....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM ➑️
I'm modding my 8000. It is the older style like yours. Replacing the TL's on the input to LT1359's. Will let you know how it goes....

Oh awesome good luck and do report back!! Can you share what the date code of your unit is, and which ICs at which designations you'll be replacing?

I did one of these when I first looked at the PCB.

My unit has an intermittent fizzy buzzyness on analog in 5. It's not a ground hum, it sounds really fizzy and the tone changes so I wonder if it's a failed cap trying to charge or leaking.

I've determined it to be an issue on the main pcb as I've disconnected the jumper wires from the front panel PCB and the noise remains. The tone/noise itself sits right at -70dB where the other channels are at -92dB. With any pre at full gain the noise floor is ~-60. I'm hoping the problem lies within one of the ICs I'll be replacing.

On first power up it sounds fine, it's only after about 5 minutes that the buzzing starts on the one channel, it's intermittent and will go and come as it pleases, it's not terribly loud but if I dig into the noise floor it's very obvious.

Anybody ran into this issue?
Old 20th November 2011 | Show parent
TSM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy ➑️
Can you share what the date code of your unit is, and which ICs at which designations you'll be replacing?
I Bought mine second hand. The date code sticker was missing, although a stamp on the inside cover said late 2009...just before they released the new version. The board says RevG ver2. I will only be using it as a AD , so changing just the x4 opamps to do with AD. Leaving the DA ones...ie the ones at the back by the XLR outputs .

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey there,
for what it's worth, I've tried the TI 'high performance' version of the TL072 and didn't find it that great.
However, I have tried many other chips that are vastly superior. You may not hear any difference with the 2072, but you'll hear a world of difference with any of the following (which are fine for current draw in that unit): OPA1612 (my personal favourite), OPA1642, LM4562 or LME49720 (output chip could be replaced by the OPA1644 or LME49740). Arrow, Newark, Avnet all have these chips. shop around for a good price, pretty varied.
Also, if you really want to take the veil off the sound, replace the caps in the signal path (basically all the caps on the front xlr input board). It's a bugger to find ones that fit (esp the 6.3v 1000uf... nichicon UPW fits I think), but Nichicon FG come close enough I think - ye olde partsconnexion is a good source. You can also squeeze KZ caps on there if you have them hang out the back of the board instead of out the front like they're originally oriented. Just make sure to have the same or higher voltage rating AND double, triple check that you have them in the correct orientation (positive/negative).
Cheers,
Adam
ps I've also tried OPA2134, THS40x2 and several others, but the ones above are much sweeter sounding AND happen to be the darlings of the industry at the moment - it's what you'll see in a lot of high end stuff like Appogee or boutique mic preamps. The converters aren't breath taking on the Behringer, but it can sure sound a lot better with a little work. It's only 4 opamps for the input stage and maybe 5 or 6 caps per channel (something like that).
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…