The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
diy DI box links or recommendations
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
diy DI box links or recommendations

can anyone hook me up with a link or recommendation for a good/great sounding DI box build.
definitely for bass (mono)
with a tranny?
also line out?
preferably passive but phantom powered is fine too.
even possibly tube.

im pretty good at wiring and such, ive just never tackled a tube before.

pre-thanks!
Old 18th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thx for the links... these seem to have little to no info about them, except the Bo Hansen, which looks pretty decent

has anyone tried them out?

i really like something 'tried and true' that can give me better results then an off the shelf cheapo di
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
All of the DIs linked to previously are fairly "tried and true," but I'd go for the Bo Hansen. The Classic API units are plug-ins to be used with a preamp. The Jensen schematic I'm sure is great, but it's just that, a schematic with no support community. The Hansen DI has been built by quite a few people who have experimented with transformers, transistors, etc. Plus, there's a PCB available.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wanted to toss up some info up and let you digest it first.

I've recently built a couple of those little active Classic API units. I only posted them up because there cheap, and should work good in front of one of your Mic preamps you already have.

The Jensen stuff is easy.

You could always join the guys at Prodigy and ask for some help there.

Kaz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go with the Bo Hansén DI. It's an easy build and sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
diy DI box links or recommendations-p1020676_web.jpg  
Old 19th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjointed ➡️
thx for the links... these seem to have little to no info about them, except the Bo Hansen, which looks pretty decent

has anyone tried them out?

i really like something 'tried and true' that can give me better results then an off the shelf cheapo di
For the Jensen web site ckt, you can get reviews by searching on line any model that advertises a Jensen transformer equipped passive DI. When you turn off all the options on a passive DI (pads, filters, ETC) you have a transformer and a resistor in the audio ckt. Therefor a review for one will be a review for all.

Here is a list of Jensen equipped DIs
JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - CLIENT LISTING

(Near the bottom of the page)

And here again is the sheet with the test results and a ckt you can build.
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/dbe.pdf

Disclaimer, I build DI boxes and I am on that list. BTW I publish the ckt for my DI on my web page. It is just like the one from Jensen transformer except for a resistor in the rf ground ckt.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thx guys.

i did like the simplicity of the api's but they seemed almost "too" simple.
i plan on using it only for bass (at first) so i want to go all out!

after my last post i read all 15 pages of the bo hansen di in the prodigy forum, it seems like a great build, and with the less expensive of the trannies (im leaning towards the haufe), i can build it for less than $50 ($70 if i buy premade pcb's)

but looking at that jensen, I do like the fact that i could probably point to point it, and not worry about any pcb!

has anyone compared the jensen to the hansen?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
thx guys.

i did like the simplicity of the api's but they seemed almost "too" simple.
i plan on using it only for bass (at first) so i want to go all out!

after my last post i read all 15 pages of the bo hansen di in the prodigy forum, it seems like a great build, and with the less expensive of the trannies (im leaning towards the haufe), i can build it for less than $50 ($70 if i buy premade pcb's)

but looking at that jensen, I do like the fact that i could probably point to point it, and not worry about any pcb!

I haven't compared the two, but I'd be surprised if the Jensen is THAT much better than Bo's DI.
One think to keep in mind with Bo's is that you're ordering a pair of PCB's, so remember to order double the components if you want to build both. A stereo pair of DI's and reamp boxes can come in handy for processing synths. Reamp boxes are even easier to build.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
thx guys.

snip

The point to point is actual a good thing because it allows you to tightly twist the audio pair from the transformer to the XLR giving slightly better rejection of hum.

Frank
Old 28th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think the bo hansen would in fact be better, but the point to point is so sexy .

question though.

can i make this reversible to re-amp as well?

thanks

Last edited by Disjointed; 29th November 2010 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: changed question
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i think the bo hansen would in fact be better, but the point to point is so sexy .

question though.

can i make this reversible to re-amp as well?

thanks
Yes, Any passive DI is reversible.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so since ill have 1/4" coming out of the d/a , ill need another 1/4" wired up to the xlr?
maybe use a dual jack (xlr,trs?)

thx
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so since ill have 1/4" coming out of the d/a , ill need another 1/4" wired up to the xlr?
maybe use a dual jack (xlr,trs?)

thx
That's up to you, but don't ground the shield on the 1/4 in that is in parallel with the XLR. You want to be able to lift that ground with the switch.

Frank
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…