Quantcast
blasting level to pass audio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
blasting level to pass audio
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
blasting level to pass audio

This is something I've experienced with many different pieces of gear, and I've never gotten a solid answer out of anyone as to why this happens.

A piece of gear that doesn't pass audio until you blast it with a really hot level and then it works fine until it sits for a while and then you have to do it again.

Does anyone know exactly why this happens?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Common problem with oxidized jack or switch contacts, less common but possible with cold solder connections.

Once the higher voltage punches through the thin oxidation layer, it passes signal until it sits and oxidizes over again.

Pretty common with insert jack switch contact, but can happen at any metal contact.

JR
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the insight!
I was having this problem with my console in my studio before I recapped it. No doubt that taking the modules out and all the resoldering was what cured that.

I'm also having the issue at the venue where I do live sound. The crossovers for our biamped stage monitors sometimes only pass hi end at power up. We've been dealing with it by turning the monitor amps off, blasting the crossovers with level, turning the amps back on, and then crossing our fingers it doesn't happen again before the show! Kinda ghetto, I know!

Thanks, now I know what to look for.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…