switching AES/EBU - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
switching AES/EBU
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
switching AES/EBU

Hi,
In the past I've successfully used relays (regular and solid state) to cut off or route balanced analog signals. For example the RDL modules are very reliable for this:
ST-SSR1 Line-Level Audio Switch - 2x1
ST-RX2 Audio Routing Switcher - 1x2
Would it be safe to use the same technique for an AES/EBU signal?

I'm trying to mute the digital signal going to a speaker using a logic control circuit.

Thanks for any tips
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
While simply switching the signal will not damage anything it will cause nasty blips while switching especially if the 'receiving' end loses sync as it takes a moment to mute the audio then reestablish new sync.
I think what you ought to be trying to do is invoke the 'mute' function of the D/A converter which would be silent.
Matt S
Old 21st May 2011
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, I'm using a Benchmark DAC-1 and 2 PC with Lynx card, using aes/ebu and want to DIY switch box, which one is more safety, using 3 pole 2 tap (ground is switched) or 2 pole 2 tap (ground is always connected to all aes).

Thank You.
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
A 2 pole switch is fine as you want ground (shield) continuity anyway. Note it WILL cause an interuption, possibly very loud while switching.
Matt S
Old 21st May 2011
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hi Matt,
Thank You for the info, I will remember that and always mute before make a switch.

Gabriel Temmy
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…