220 W Overheating everything?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
220 W Overheating everything??
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
220 W Overheating everything??

Got a problem fellas...

Most of my gear is from the states and supports both 220 and 110 V and i brought it over w me to vietnam which uses 220..

and i notice now that everything is HOT!!! even my computer is always overheating.. my audio interface , laptop, LCD screen are hot hot hot...

Is there any reason why this should be happening? is this normal? Is there a way to resolve this? Maybe perhaps buy a 110 V converter?

any help or info would help me a lot! I dont want my stuff to explode!!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
It would be good to measure the mains you have to verify it is actually 220 Volts.
I think it will also be 50 Hz which may be affecting the transformers although computers usually have switchmode supplies which are not sensitive to frequency.
Matt S
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The Plot thickens!!
I also forgot to say that when i have my audio interface plugged in and i touch a metal part of it, i get shocked as if a current is running through me...

What the hell is that?? that can't be safe.. and its not just at my house either. its everywhere in Vietnam..

Matt, I will see if i can find something to measure Voltage but would that really make a difference?
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
A voltmeter would tell you if their mains is actually 220 Volts or way off.
I suspect that electrical regulations may be bad or non existant over there, probably no earth wires at all. The USA seems bad enough compared to Europe but some countries are simply happy to have some electricity, any old wires will do! I went to Damascus many years ago and even the main broadcast station had mains wires going out the window to get to the next studio.
Sounds like you need a metal rod stuck in the ground nearby and a piece of earth wire taking this to your metalwork.
Matt S
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…