Quantcast
Recap an Amek BC3 advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recap an Amek BC3 advice
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recap an Amek BC3 advice

Looking to recap my Amek Bc3 and just wondered if any of you guys had done it?
What caps did you use and can you give me any advice? I have a great tech but just want to get some thoughts..

Cheers
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru
Try using low offset opamps like AD8510,12, OPA1611,12 and National LME49710,20. Those may allow you to remove the coupling caps altogether, that will really open up the sonics. Install those opamps, check for stability with a scope and then remove any caps without DC on them.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Excellent, sounds like what im after...cheers Jim!
Old 8th December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Recap problem

Hi,

I have started to recap my Amek BC3 with panasonic fm, elna, wima, styroflex, scr... with success until today. The master section recapped sounds great and the input channels too.
But after recapping a BC315 module today, there was a problem. I had recapped the preamp section, the filters and eq successfully, so i changed all the other electrolytics (almost 100uf 10v), and then no sound. The leds on the top of the channel still light on, but the mute one doesn't, and the eq one is darker.

So I looked at the lytics but they were ok, and their polarity too.

I changed them again for the old ones, without success.

I checked all the contacts and shorts, without any problem.

So... If anyone has got an idea, he's welcome!

Many thanks.

Remi
Old 9th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSedor ➑️
Hi,

I have started to recap my Amek BC3 with panasonic fm, elna, wima, styroflex, scr... with success until today. The master section recapped sounds great and the input channels too.
But after recapping a BC315 module today, there was a problem. I had recapped the preamp section, the filters and eq successfully, so i changed all the other electrolytics (almost 100uf 10v), and then no sound. The leds on the top of the channel still light on, but the mute one doesn't, and the eq one is darker.

So I looked at the lytics but they were ok, and their polarity too.

I changed them again for the old ones, without success.

I checked all the contacts and shorts, without any problem.

So... If anyone has got an idea, he's welcome!

Many thanks.

Remi
Hi-jack alert!
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi,

What you mean by a hijack alert?

Thanks
Old 9th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi,

What you mean by a hijack alert?

Thanks
Hey, i was refering to hijacking a thread, which is exactly what you did in your previous post, basically twisting around the original topic that the thread op posted to suit your own needs.
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sorry,
I thought it was the right place to post this question, but I will start another topic right now.
Old 11th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry,
I thought it was the right place to post this question, but I will start another topic right now.
I dont see what the problem is seeing as the topic is about recapping BC3's! Carry on as you are..
Old 13th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
I dont see what the problem is seeing as the topic is about recapping BC3's! Carry on as you are..
Fine, anyway, since nobody actually answered your question, i would suggest that you use Panasonic FM or FR caps, you could try Rubycon ZLG or Nichicon HC which are hard to find, and are available only in small measures, but they are extremely low impedance. Nichicon HE are also very good caps, impedance is very similar to Panasonic FC but much higher life (up to 10,000 hrs. @105).

Finally, if you want to experiment with tone, you can go with something like sprague atoms, or bc caps, or something, these are axials, do you have axial or radial caps?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…