The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slutty DIY DI/Reamp Box
Old 5th May 2009
Slutty DIY DI/Reamp Box

So, I've been thinking about building a nice passive DI and reamp box for a while, so for kicks I tried laying out a schematic for single unit that does both based off one Jensen transformer. Being a typical slut, I decided I would try to incorporate as many features as possible, verging on over-the-top. I basically stole bits from all the various DIY DIs and reamps around on the net, though primarily from the schematics on Jensen's site. Let me know what you think, or if you see any errors. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Slutty DIY DI/Reamp Box-di-reamp.jpg  
Old 5th May 2009
Whoops, missed one resistor in the unbalanced pad circuit. Here's the updated schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Slutty DIY DI/Reamp Box-di-reamp.jpg  
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nice work. Thanks for the post.
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I built a few reamp boxes a few years ago. Not a combo reamp/DI like you have here, but just a straight reamp.

The first feature that I decided to incorporate, after using the original Reamp, was to have the line input on parallel male and female XLRs. Invariably you're patching these things from a wall panel in a studio. You may not have a male connection on the wall. With both genders in parallel you can just use a regular mic cable from the wall to the box. No adapter required.

The parallel input also allows you to chain the line signal to more than one reamp box, if you need to go in to two different amps (or pedals, etc.).

Since we're talking about multiple amps, there's nothing worse than turning on two great sounding amps, only to find one sucking and the other one blowing. So I'd suggest a polarity switch on the balanced side of the transformer.

I'm not so much into the combined reamp/DI concept, but that's just me. I'd rather have them separate.
Old 20th December 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
did you ever actually build this unit? did it work out?
Old 20th December 2011
I didn't actually ever build this, it was more of a wild hair I had at the time. In hindsight, I believe it would be better for reamping purposes to use an active DI design with a higher input impedance.

I do believe this unit would work as designed if you were wanting to have a combined high-quality passive DI with a reamp box, assuming it was built well.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would NOT use a DI box in reverse..
Plus it makes more sense to have two different boxes..IMHO..
Old 21st December 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➑️
I would NOT use a DI box in reverse..
Plus it makes more sense to have two different boxes..IMHO..
I'd have to agree that two boxes would be more convenient in most cases. This is not, however, intended to be just a DI box in reverse, you can see in the schematic that I was using a DPDT switch to switch between DI and reamp circuits, it's simply using the same transformer.

This was actually my main reason at the time for designing it that way -- to prevent having to buy two Jensen transformers.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…