Quantcast
Nasty Noise from my SDC - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nasty Noise from my SDC
Old 10th February 2009

🎧 10 years
Nasty Noise from my SDC

This is my setup:
Power: 20amp 120V Outlet >Furman IT 20 II balanced Power Coditioner > Furman AR 15 Voltage Regulator > Furman PL-PLUS DMC Power Conditioner (Maybe this one is not necessary)

Audio:
Mics > ProCo Stage Master snake (20 Channels) > Preamps > Dsub in to Aurora > S/PDIF Out to Digi 003 > Firewire to PC.

The things is I'm getting a hell of a lot Electrical Noise and RFI, mostly from my SD Phantom Powered Mics, the noise is so intense I haven't been able to use them on a recording. I've plugged the mics directly to preamps and I'm not getting any nasty noise, but when using the Snake it's freaking loud, like -48db Loud. At first I thought the cheapo Snake was the problem or maybe the fact that I'm runing phantom power thru that long 50ft cable, but when I ran another test today I didn't have any noise, then I mounted the mics on the stands and BINGO there it was again.

Help Me
Old 10th February 2009

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Move the snake around.
Use better mic amps with proper RFI rejection.
Get a couple of ferrite rings or rods and wrap the mic cables around them at the preamp end.
Turn off ALL unessential gear to see if it is a monitor or something (it sounds a bit like a PC monitor).
Try different mics.
Mains filters are NOT a universal panacea, OK they may be the icing on the cake but do not really 'solve' the actual problem.
Matt S
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You've pulled all the connector shells off to check for broken shields/ugliness, opened your stage box to check for same, and cleaned contacts, right? Tried wrapping the mic cable around your stand ballast into a big ugly choke?
Cheers! JR

🎧 10 years
Hi, I'm gonna check the connector contacts, never crossed my mind, about the ferrite ring, what is it exactly? could you post a picture?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Ferrite ring or bar. Bar as used in old AM radios.
Rings also used as filters on digital gear, PC monitors. switchmode power supplies.
Matt S
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Could someone please post a picture?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Look at any switchmode 'wall warts' or cpmputer monitor screens. There is usually a plastic 'bump' on at least one end of the cable. These contain a ferrite core of some shape .
Matt S

🎧 10 years
oooooooh!!! ok ok I googled it, how exactly do I have to attatch this to my cables do I need to unsolder, place them and resolder again?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…