The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
induction noise in my recording room to my jzblackhole mic
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
induction noise in my recording room to my jzblackhole mic

Hi
i bought last monyh jz black hole mic
i tested it in my freind studio and work perfect tested it in my home work perfect when i connect it in my studio i try all the ways (mic to pre direct without patchbay mic to mixer direct mic to some other pre ) and i have a same problem i have induction noise in my recording room that the mic recive i try to disconnection in my elctricity table in my studio all the lines and to stay only with pre and same problem .
i have to say its only in my structure .

i have in my bulding roof celolar antena of our mobile phone company (i am in floor 1 and roof is floor 3) and maybe this is the problem
itry to change some mics cables and same problem

how i can solve this problem ?
i add an mp3 file that you can listen the noise in my room
if i move with the mic in the room the noise is increase depend of the place
Attached Files

jzblackhole-noise.mp3 (2.84 MB, 142 views)

Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What it looks like

Without speculating as to either a.) the source or b.) the path, this is what your noise looks like when plotted with time in the horizontal axis, frequency in the vertical axis, and showing amplitude as color intensity.

This kind of analysis can be very revealing. It shows the noise to be a continuous tone at about 1750 hz, and every 1750 hz thereafter (3500, 5250, 7000, etc).

My guess is that the source is your computer, although, the proximity of the cell tower is suspicious, as well.

What is your preamp and what are you using for i/o into the computer? Can you monitor your preamp with the computer turned off? That would help confirm the source.

Regardless of the source, in order to fix this you will also need to discover the path by which this signal is getting into your mix. More than likely, there is a faulty grounding scheme at work here. Confirm that you have a good earth ground at the outlet and that all your equipment connects to that ground and that ground only. I like to start with one of these:

They're a cheap and easy way to see if anyone bothered to hook up a ground at your outlet, but they won't tell you much about the quality of that ground.

BE CAREFUL. A bad ground not only means noise, it also means a potentially lethal electrical hazard. The brilliant and gregarious engineers at Rane host a good reference site with lots of good info about grounding Rane Professional Audio Reference Home

There ia also an excellent paper about ferrites elsewhere in this forum (search ferrites in audio).

Great sounding mic, by the way. Hope you can ring out the noise. Try wrapping the head in foil to see if perhaps the path is through the mesh. A poor bond between the mesh and the chassis can be disastrous. I am sure, however, our Latvian friends at Violet already know that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…