Quantcast
Patchbay Soldering Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbay Soldering Question
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Patchbay Soldering Question

I have an Audio Accesories MINI TT patchbay that I am soldering and I am curious as to what is the best way to solder each wire on it's terminal. Do you loop the wire through the hole , place it on top of the terminal or do you have a different method ?. A pic would be greatly appreciated. I searched Google and found this link Wire a Patchbay - How We Do It! - Patchbay Wiring Tutorial. It appears that they loop the wire around the terminal in their pics. All other pics I found are either blurry or too small to see any details.I have all my plugs done on the other end of the snakes, just have the patchbay jacks left. Please help , I want to get this patchbay done right.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi Caveman - Make yourself two small wooden a-frames and attach them securely to your bench - mount your patchbay between them with the back towards you, and make sure it's right in your face.
First thing a lot of folks do is grab some solid wire and run a buss across the top of the switch (patch point) chassis, and another buss across the bottom switch chassis - not back by the solder lugs - the frame of these switches is the sleeve, or ground conductor - later, strap these two busses together with stranded wire and take it to a proper earth ground. May as well use that split point in the center of the bay - they'll be equal length and hopefully equal resistance.
Next, throw a 0.5" piece of shrink tube on your first twisted shielded stranded pair. This should be the wire intended for the lower left point of your bay, as you're viewing from the back, if you hold your iron in your right hand. You'll need a small spool of teflon or silicon insulation to throw on your shields - that's the translucent wire you see in those pictures you linked to. Strip about 1.5 inches of insulation off your pair, throw a jacket on your shield (leave 0.25" exposed), and shrink the tubing. Pull 0.25" of insulation off the pair and tin all three leads. Put an almost 180 degree bend halfway up your tinned leads, and hook whichever lug is at the bottom of your switches. Pinch it gently to the lug with your needlenose and solder it. The additional heat shrink over the lugs is unnecessary IMHO. Work left to right, bottom to top, and when you're done with the bottom, shield it so you don't drop solder into it while you're working the top row. Appears as if you have a strain relief bar across the back of the bay. Secure a handfull of pairs at a time it as you complete them. Then, curse your lot, and vow to buy the multipin terminated bays with dipswitch normalling assignment in the future.
Cheers! JR
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thank you so much for the detailed response! Your method is far easier than the one I was about to try. You saved me a ton of time.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…