Quantcast
Replace NS10 tweeter with non yamaha part? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replace NS10 tweeter with non yamaha part?
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Replace NS10 tweeter with non yamaha part?

Has anybody here replaced an NS10 tweeter with a newer ,cheaper part like some of the tweeters at parts express?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a freind who blew the tweeters out of his NS-10T (consumer ver) and we replaced them with cheapper ones off ebay. For his application they worked out fine (mostly keyboard work). The normal NS-10 tweeters are much bigger than the cheeper ones that you will find. Seeing them side by side, it is obvious why they cost much more.

IMO, if I could not replace the tweeter in my NS-10SM with the right part, I would switch to another set of monitors.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I plan to get a newer more modern and better sounding pair of monitor speakers.
But instead of throwing the ns10s in the dumpster i have little to lose by fitting a $40 tweeter in them and using them as a second reference.. The cabinets and both woofers are fine.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You should be fine then.

Your NS10s should have more bass by using the lesser size tweeter.

Please report back once you have made the switch to let us know.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW,

The Vifa tweeters for the old Tannoy PBM6.5 monitors have miraculously come back in stock at Parts Express:

Parts Express:*Vifa D19TD-05 3/4" Poly Dome Tweeter

Mine have date stamps of 2008 on them so I guess they're back in production. Don't know how they'd do alongside the NS10 woofer, but they're great in the Tannoys (IMHO) and it was only 31 bucks and something for the pair. Might be worth a try. Just be careful on the levels if you do. This isn't the first time I've had to swap mine, but it's usually from doing something stupid and throwing a really loud burst at them. If anybody has tips on some unobtrusive protection there (fuses,etc.), I'd be interested.

BTW- The outer flange is around 3&3/4"

Take Care
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Spend the extra few bucks and get the NS 10 Tweeters.
Recession and all, take the plunge! Were talking $60.00 difference for the pair here.
They are built solid, I wouldn't think of using something cheaper.
Maybe something better, but not cheaper.tutt
I've ghetto rigged my NS 10s before, its just not worth it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Plab B

Or...
You could do what everybody else does when their NS10s blow a tweeter. Use the woofer as a kick drum mic.

Apex Jr Surplus has a nice 1" dome tweeter (4 ohm) for about $5. What was the crossover frequency on those, anyway?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
According to what I read yesterday I think it was 2k for the whole system. I think that's lower than the Tannoy tweeter, but I'm not sure how accurate that spec I saw was. BTW- $31 was the total for the pair, so they're just 15 each. The Yamahas ranged from 90 to over a hundred apiece, but that may have been a ripoff. I hope those Tannoy Vifas are back in production. I bought some 4.5" woofers a while back and may try them with those. In the PBM speakers they were adequately neutral and not too flattering.

Take Care
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With out being able to match impedance and driver efficacy it seems like a bad idea.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…