Theory of Fuzz Pedal Design - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Theory of Fuzz Pedal Design
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Theory of Fuzz Pedal Design

Does anyone have any good resources for designing fuzz pedals and reading how they actually work, or why you'd choose to do different things?

I have several electronics books (Art of Electronics, etc), but all of those are about making circuits with low distortion that... well work consistently. But fuzz pedals are weird, glitchy, nonlinear, etc. Some of them do weird octave-type stuff, others go 8-bit sounding, others just stutter.

Overall they are 'simple' circuits, in that they only have 8-20 components, generally just 2-3 transistors and a few other passive components. I'd like to start building my own, but I'm not sure where to start asides from just building kits or clones of others and hoping to infer what's happening from those.

Surely there is something out there that's a well written resource on understanding what the hell these pedals are actually doing but doesn't require a master's in EE to understand.

Ideas?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Here's a start: Technology of the Fuzz Face - Frame Definition
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
That's great! Anything else about newer and glitchier and odder fuzzes would be great as well. How the "8-bit" sounding ones work, etc.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(guitar)

This is a good summary. I've seen Zener diodes, Bilateral fet switches, and FETs used to produce soft clipping. Slew-rate limitting is another aproach worth trying.

For the tube power amp distortion, remember that the tubes compress and the output transformer saturates. The transformer saturation is frequency dependant and also dependant on the speaker impedance (which is not the same at all frequencies).

Welcome to a hugely complex topic were people have fickle tastes and fashion plays into the mix heavily...

-tINY

Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
DIYstompboxes.com - Index

Great forum with Many DIY guitar effects/pedal designs and schematics and links to many other great DIY guitar pedal sites.....

heh
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…