How can I make a guitar input pad? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can I make a guitar input pad?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How can I make a guitar input pad?

Hello all,

I just bought a new portico neve 5016. I have emailed neve and got one email back with no help. My problem is this:

All my guitars tele, strat, prs, p-bass, 7 string esp, all clip my converters going into my laptop. at first I thought it was just the converters so I tried it on a few other interfaces. Still hot as hell and clipping

Neve told me to run the DI out of the neve into the mic pre side because the mic pre side has a level indicator. I have it set on DI and on the mic pre side everything is turned all the way down. Still with a solid strum or picking pattern it clips. The single coil guitars are better but still clip and the bridge prs pickup clips very easily. Can't imagine why every guitar I own clips something made for a guitar input, wtf?

So I thought a pad in between the guitar and the neve would be the best bet. My problem is I can't find 1/4-1/4 pad anywhere. I have got some advice from a few people on how to make one but they are all xlr-xlr. I'm not great at electronics and I'm not sure what each guitar is outputting. I'm sure they are all different, especially the single coils compared to the humbucking pickups, and I'm not sure how to get those levels.

Any advice or info on how to get a 1/4 to 1/4 pad would be awesome. I'm clueless on what to do.

Thanks
sands
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are your converters -10 or +4dB in?
I would pad the output of the DI.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
sounds like you might be hitting a mic pre w/ a higher level than it's supposed to get....have you tried recording into the neve di side alone?....i've only had that problem when i ran XLR from a line level device back into a mic pre...dunno if that will help. i thought most di's had a pad on them for this kinda stuff.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
still clipping

the output coming directly from the guitars into my I/O's interface doesn't ever clip unless I strum my PRS guitar as hard as I can with the bridge selection selected. Now if I go into the neve portico's DI section then run out of the DI into the I/O it clips it everytime now matter what I play.

Neve had me run out of the DI side on the unit into the mic pre side to see what it was metering, since the mic pre side has meters on it. It shows just like I see on my a/d's I/O and that is hot as hell clipping. So it has to be the neve right? Why is it so hot?

neve will not email me back on the issue, I bought it brand new from Atlas Pro Audio and now this model is discontinued by neve.

here are the specs on my a/d I/O

Combo Microphone Preamplifier/Hi-Z/Line Inputs (2)
Hi-Z Line Input:
Input Impedance: 1Mohm
- Max Level: +12dBV (14.2dBu)
- Dynamic Range (A-weighted, 1kHz, min gain): 113dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, min gain): 113dB
- THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS, min gain): -101dB (.0009%)

Microphone Preamplifier:
- Input Impedance: 1.5Kohms
- Max Level: +6dBV (+8.2dBu)
- EIN (20Hz-20kHz, 150ohm, unweighted): -127dBu
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, min gain): 112.5dB
- Phantom Power: 48V
- Soft Limiter: 5dB max compression (software selectable)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➑️
Are your converters -10 or +4dB in?
I would pad the output of the DI.
If it's clipping directly from the guitar to the input on the neve shouldn't the pad lie between the guitar and the neve?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep ➑️
sounds like you might be hitting a mic pre w/ a higher level than it's supposed to get....have you tried recording into the neve di side alone?....i've only had that problem when i ran XLR from a line level device back into a mic pre...dunno if that will help. i thought most di's had a pad on them for this kinda stuff.
that's what I thought too, and on the neve site it gives different numbers for the DI gain, and the manual it weird on using balanced vs unbalanced cables from the guitar to the unit. I don't understand it and can 't get any answers, all I want to do is rock!

here is the site if anyone is curious as to what I am speaking of.

Rupert Neve Designs - Portico 5016 - Duo Mic Pre / DI
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If your sure your cables are good....
This is what I would do; take your Neve to another studio and plug in JUST like you have been doing and see what they get.
What are the specs on your Converter?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS ➑️
the output coming directly from the guitars into my I/O's interface doesn't ever clip unless I strum my PRS guitar as hard as I can with the bridge selection selected. Now if I go into the neve portico's DI section then run out of the DI into the I/O it clips it everytime now matter what I play.

Neve had me run out of the DI side on the unit into the mic pre side to see what it was metering, since the mic pre side has meters on it. It shows just like I see on my a/d's I/O and that is hot as hell clipping. So it has to be the neve right? Why is it so hot?

neve will not email me back on the issue, I bought it brand new from Atlas Pro Audio and now this model is discontinued by neve.

here are the specs on my a/d I/O

Combo Microphone Preamplifier/Hi-Z/Line Inputs (2)
Hi-Z Line Input:
Input Impedance: 1Mohm
- Max Level: +12dBV (14.2dBu)
- Dynamic Range (A-weighted, 1kHz, min gain): 113dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, min gain): 113dB

Microphone Preamplifier:
- Input Impedance: 1.5Kohms
- Max Level: +6dBV (+8.2dBu)
- EIN (20Hz-20kHz, 150ohm, unweighted): -127dBu
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, min gain): 112.5dB
- Phantom Power: 48V
- Soft Limiter: 5dB max compression (software selectable)
Are you going from Neve balanced out to Hi-Z input on your converter?
This could be the problem, Max in +14dBu is NOT much, but should be plenty with a Passive GTR...
You should NEVER have to pad the input of a DI pre driven by a Passive Gtr.....
Gear Guru
Your guitar has a built in pad, it's called the volume control.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Your guitar has a built in pad, it's called the volume control.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
agreed, but it sounds like crap when I turn down the volume knob especially if I'm using any overdrive or gain on my guitar rig software.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➑️
Are you going from Neve balanced out to Hi-Z input on your converter?
This could be the problem, Max in +14dBu is NOT much, but should be plenty with a Passive GTR...
You should NEVER have to pad the input of a DI pre driven by a Passive Gtr.....
I'm going 1/4 instrument cable from my guitar into the DI, then XLR out from the Neve into my converters.

Last edited by SANDS; 4th February 2009 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: no sense in bashing a company on here
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm going 1/4 instrument cable from my guitar into the DI, then XLR out from the Neve into my converters.
I would send it back...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks again

thanks for all the help guys, Neve responded back today, he was busy at namm which makes total sense.
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
thanks for all the help guys, Neve responded back today, he was busy at namm which makes total sense.
I told them you were having trouble, so I asked them last night (first time I saw this thread) to contact you since the manufacturer could get to the heart of the problem quicker. The 5016 is not discontinued either, it just has new cosmetics, same electronics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
perfect

thanks to everyone for all your help, it's greatly appreciated.

ss
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…