Quantcast
Power supply fan question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Power supply fan question
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Power supply fan question

So I was replacing the caps in the power supplies for my MCI 528 last night and I though, I should probably replace the fans too!!!!

Anybody have an idea on upgrades??
Heres whats in there:
Boxer Fan
WS2107FL-9
.1 amp
Manufactured by IMC Magnetic Corp
I think its a 4 3/16in mount
Attached Thumbnails
Power supply fan question-fan1.jpg   Power supply fan question-fan2.jpg  
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

If it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's too noisy, then a muffler on the outside is probably better than replacing it. But, a "quiet" fan with as much or more airflow rating should be fine.

-tINY

Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you do replace, check the model's spec sheet for the NOISE level, measured in Db. Here's an example (BTW, 29 Db is not good for this application). Also, you didn't mention the operating voltage or AC/DC.

http://www.eminebea.com/content/pdf/...5/I/2412ps.pdf

Best, Paul
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While this may not seem obvious, it's important to maintain the same air flow direction. The air flow patterns will be night and day different whether air is pushed or pulled.

JR
Gear Guru
Your specs include size, airflow in cubic feet per minute or CFM, voltage rating, (AC or DC) and noise factor in db's. Look to Silenx for very quiet DC fans, also look to the Whisper XL series for AC fans. Better fans are available now. Don't forget to install filter foam to keep the dirt out.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
Mounting a fan say half an inch off it's original position (away from the 'hole' it blows through) can make it a lot quieter. Remember to put a bit of a 'cowl' of foam rubber or something so that it is airtight to the panel. The blades cause pressure waves which make it particularly noisy compared to being in 'free air'.
Matt S
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the good info.
So far, 3 of the 8 fans are kaput!

So I figured I'd do a mass swap-out and be done with it!!!!

btw, they are AC, haven't looked up the voltage yet.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

In that case - get as quiet a fan as you can with enough airflow. For AC fans, I'd wire then right to the power switch and run them all the time. 115VAC boxer fans are easy to find.

-tINY

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson ➑️
Hi
Mounting a fan say half an inch off it's original position (away from the 'hole' it blows through) can make it a lot quieter. Remember to put a bit of a 'cowl' of foam rubber or something so that it is airtight to the panel. The blades cause pressure waves which make it particularly noisy compared to being in 'free air'.
Matt S
Hey Matt. Since I'm in this same boat..... What would be a good way to mount an existing fan 1/2" away from the the original position? Will the reduction in noise be audible?....Thanks...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mine were noisy and i cleaned them all inside out..and no problem any more

also I found same fans here and they can work on 110 and 220 V so I bought few for spare
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…