Quantcast
Any ideas on Tweed Audio C507a connectors? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any ideas on Tweed Audio C507a connectors?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Hey Slutz!

I've just got six Tweed Audio C507As which i need to get racked up. I've got a power supply already but no idea what kind of connectors you need for this kind of module. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've got pin out diagrams if anyone needs them by the way. Imagine they are similar to whatever neve used at the time as they have some association with them.

thanks

jack
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl ➑️

Hey Slutz!

I've just got six Tweed Audio C507As which i need to get racked up. I've got a power supply already but no idea what kind of connectors you need for this kind of module. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've got pin out diagrams if anyone needs them by the way. Imagine they are similar to whatever neve used at the time as they have some association with them.

thanks

jack
Hi

You can provide clues that would help people help you.... otherwise it's all a bit abstract.

For instance...

1. How may pins?

2. What's the pitch between the pins (0.1", 0.156", etc.) ?

3. Is the connector on the module a plug or a socket?

And anything else you can throw in, like a part number printed or embossed into the module connector... or even a manufacturer's name!

Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tweed C507a pinout questions

resurrecting an old thread.

I was supplied with some connector by Blake Devitt in the end (thank you very much) They are 25 pin sockets and the modules themselves have a protruding edge connector. Not sure of the pitch i'm afraid but i could measure if anyone is interested.

So i made myself a plywood lunchbox box to house the modules and i have a couple of old spare Cadac XLR plates for the back panel connections. I will using a +/- 18volt PSU from an old soundcraft desk but i may end up powering them with my Cadac PSU which is powering my main desk at the moment.

I was kindly supplied with a Tweed module Pinout list by [email protected] but i have a few questions regarding some of the information on the list.

Pins 23 and 24 are both Mic input cold. I am guessing this is a Typo as there doesn't seem to be a Mic input hot pin, i am going on the assumption that pin 24 should be mic input hot. Or am i missing something? Can you have a mic input with two cold connections???

My next question is regarding the Line inputs on 22 and 21, hot and cold. But where is the ground? Should i be using a common ground pin? like pin 1 or pin 25? I'm guessing not pin 15 as this is 0volts for the power supply.

I'm also slightly foxed by the power resistors from the 48volts phantom supply on pin 9. Would phantom power be supplied to both pin 23 and 24?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See below for the pinouts.

Tweed Mic/ Line module Connections.

Pin number Functional connection

1 Chassis Ground
2 Output balanced Cold ( - ).
3 Output balanced Hot ( + ).
4 No Connection (N/C).
5 N/C
6 N/C
7 Power 18 VDC Negative. ( - ).
8 N/C
9 Phantom power in 48VDC ( + ).
10 N/C
11 Unbalanced output (phase reversed from I/P.)
12 N/C
13 Lamp (+) DO NOT connect here!
14 N/C
15 Electronic ground. 0VDC.
16 N/C
17 Power 18 VDC Positive. ( + )
18 N/C
19 N/C
20 N/C
21 Line input. Cold ( - )
22 Line input. Hot ( + )
23 Mic input. Cold ( - )
24 Mic input. Cold ( - )
25 Mic shield ground.

Power draw per rail +/- 18Volt is approx 70mA.

Phantom power resistors (2) between pins 9 (common point) and 23/24:
For 48V Phantom = 6K8 ohms.
For 24V Phantom = 1K2 ohms.
For 12V Phantom = 680 ohms.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mic input connection description is obviously a typo. However is is not possible to tell for sure which is Hot/Cold without examining the circuit.

Signal ground (such as the mic shield ground) is almost certainly identical with "electronic ground". A simple ohm meter test would confirm that. The reason the mic shield ground is brought out separately is most likely for wiring convenience (terminating the shield).

By definition, phantom power is supplied to both sides of the mic signal equally. Else it would unbalance the signal which is undesirable. The published standard for the original 48V power is 6K8, but lower voltages were not comprehended in the original spec and designers use whatever value seems appropriate to them. Tweed's values for 24V and 12V supply significantly more power than the original 48V/6K8 combination.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks for the reply!

I figured that there must have been a typo.

So do you think the chassis ground, the mic shield ground and 0volts should all be connected? I'm going to connect the power supply to the connectors with some kind of rails for the plus and minus 18volts and i going to make a rail for the 0volts electronic ground.

I don't have a chassis as such apart from the metal work in the modules and the back panel. I was just worried about interfering with the power supply but if the audio and the power supply share a common ground it should be quite straightforward.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Certainly tie all the pin 15 ground pins together with a heavy buss (I use ordinary solid 10 or 12 AWG wire like used for power mains wiring in your walls). And the same for the pin 7 and pin 17 power busses. (Be sure to insulate the +18 and -18 busses to reduce any danger of shorting them and blowing your power supply.)

That pin 15 is the power ground AND the signal ground for the line-level inputs and outputs. I typically use a bare wire and it provides a convenient place to tie shields, ground wires, etc anywhere along the buss. And I would tie that pin-15 buss to whatever metal frame you are using.

I would NOT tie all the pin 25s together. I would use each one separately to connect the mic pair shield to. Tying those together at the connector has the possibility of disrupting the star ground scheme they designed into each module.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks again for the advice. I just hope the modules are all fully functional when i finally power them up. They are very nicely built inside. The output transformers are huge! The tweeds I've used in the past were great for rock drums.
Old 24th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello! I am actually parting out two small format tweed console. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in the modules. Unfortunately All the channel strips were removed long time ago. I have all the line amp modules, peak meters, cue amps etc.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
very possibly. the meters and stuff could be useful. how much would you want for them?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…