Experienced RE-201 Space Echo service? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Experienced RE-201 Space Echo service?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Experienced RE-201 Space Echo service?

Hey out there,

I have an RE-201 that is physically new, but has a couple of issues.

1. The spring reverb has a hum in it, not terrible, but would be great if it was gone.

2. The first setting of the delay only section and the first setting of the delay/reverb section only buzz, there is no delay or reverb. Broken it seems!

3. Probably needs a general check up.

I know that they are tricky to work on, and a real pain to take apart, but I'm hoping that there is somebody in the LA area, or not too far that knows these things inside and out.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Eli
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody? No leads??

Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bump
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
1. The spring reverb has a hum in it, not terrible, but would be great if it was gone.
It could be a few different things - tough to say without a look. The Space Echo can be susceptible to hum if it's placed near strong AC fields. Also, try grounding the 'pan' that supports the reverb spring assembly.

Quote:
2. The first setting of the delay only section and the first setting of the delay/reverb section only buzz, there is no delay or reverb. Broken it seems!
Likely to be the switches and/or the switch pads on the PC board. Given the age of the RE-201, all switches and internal connectors should be cleaned and exercised.

Quote:
I know that they are tricky to work on, and a real pain to take apart, but I'm hoping that there is somebody in the LA area, or not too far that knows these things inside and out.
I've worked on lots of RE201/301 units. They're easy to both take apart and work on. The biggest issue these days is getting tapes that work well with the Space Echo units. (Hint: homemade loops of Ampex 456 suck...)

Have you tried calling Roland in LA? Schematics for the RE-201 are freely available on the 'net and most pro-audio techs who are over the age of 30 have worked on a few...

You might try asking here:

PSW Recording Forums: Dave Hecht - Master Tech

Best,

Graemme
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Graemme,

Thanks for the info man! I'm printing out a copy of the schematic and I'll bring it to one of my normal techs to take a look at.

-Eli
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…