SSL 4000 G+ computer startup problems - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL 4000 G+ computer startup problems
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
SSL 4000 G+ computer startup problems

Hi there guys!

We've just recently acquired a beautiful SSL 4052 with G+ computer from another studio to our studio in the Netherlands. It has been working (and sounding) really great, but unfortunately we're running into a computer startup problem. If the following sounds familiar to any of you SSL users out there, I'd really appreciate some pointers where to look

We where running the SSL 4000 G+ computer with the 3,5 inch Floppy drives for the program and reel disc. It was working fine for approx. 1,5 month since we installed her, but now she is having a startup problem. When the computer power supply is turned on the program disc starts to load, but doesn't complete the boot procedure. The led next to the program disc flashes about 1/2 the time it did before. The computer screen shows nothing and the LED's on the VCA faders of the desk are still lit when the boot procedure hangs.

This is what we've tried so far:

-numerous reboots, resets
-boot with different (versions of) the program disc and other reel discs
-boot with the big flops (very same problem occurs !!)

-the computer power suppy is set to the correct voltage.

We have some spares of different configurations (E computer, etc.) of the computer, just no spares of the exact memory and computer board actually fitted. Maybe something got broken in the transportation.

If anyone can give me a pointer where to look next, that would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can offer (professional) help please send me a pm!
Old 20th May 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
you can try switching drives for the program disk, on the back of the drive rack there should be a button that switches the P(program disk) and the R(reel disk) disk drives, basically switches which drive does what. Sometimes those old drives can be pretty finicky.
Also go to the console power supply, when looking at the SSL computer, above its power supply, there are two holes near the bottom of the computer panel under where all the ribbons and such plug in, when looking at the computer the hole on the right side of the computer you will see two red leds on cards in there, when you flip on the computer power supply, the first red led will light up right away, then a few seconds later the second Red LED should light up, sometimes it take a little bit to light up, if that second LED does not light up with in say a minute, then turn off the computer power supply wait a minute to let the drives wind down and such and try again, basically no second red LED No boot up. if both red Leds are lit up in the computer, and it is still not booting up, then perhaps the drive is having a hard time reading the disk or something.
I am guessing that switching the drives may help as well as ensuring both these red leds inside the computer light up, if they dont both light up you need to consult a tech to find out the problem.
I am not a tech but I suggest you consult one if you continue to have problems.

Some techs i trust

Paul J. Cox Review - Pro-Music-News
Pro Audio Design :: 877-223-8858
Welcome to The Desk Doctor.com - Solutions in Pro-Audio
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Dear Modulation,

thanks A LOT for your reply. The problem was solved a while ago, it was a hardware problem in the RAM board!

We encountered some of the stuff you are describing indeed.

List of techs could be very helpful in the future!

Cheers
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I just noticed your in the netherlands, so my list of american techs may not apply.
Glad to hear you got it worked out.
Old 24th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hi, one question, when you say "The problem was solved a while ago, it was a hardware problem in the RAM board!"
You mean the la card: 2MB Maxibus cache? or are those memories on another board? Could you tell me which one?
Thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…