Quantcast
Black MD421 lows problem, does it have a build in switch set to "S" ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black MD421 lows problem, does it have a build in switch set to "S" ?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Black MD421 lows problem, does it have a build in switch set to "S" ?

I have 2 black MD421's, which I bought second hand.
One has the M-S switch on the back, the other doesn't. The one without the switch sounds very different than the one with the switch when the switch is on "M". To be exact, it's missing a lot of low end.
Since I don't really know anything about the history of these things, I hope somebody can help me out.
Do the black MD421 models without the switch have some sort of internal switch, or are they set default to the "S" position?
Or is this one just a very bad apple which needs to be cleaned, or start a new life as a talkback mic?

If anybody needs more information about my specific MD421's before being able to answer, please let me know.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
bump
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have no idea whether Sennheiser ever made a 421 without the filter barrel but they did make a Blackfire 521 that looks like a 421 without the filter. It's supposed to sound close to a 421 with the filter set M. Never heard one myself though.

If you have a lot of low end loss you may just have a 521 with a rubbing voice coil.

The stock standard Sennheiser way of testing a 421 for this is to apply 100Hz @ 900mV across pins 2 & 3 and listen to the capsule. If it's buzzy and not clean the coil is rubbing against the magnet.

Brent
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothus ➑️
I have no idea whether Sennheiser ever made a 421 without the filter barrel but they did make a Blackfire 521 that looks like a 421 without the filter. It's supposed to sound close to a 421 with the filter set M. Never heard one myself though.

If you have a lot of low end loss you may just have a 521 with a rubbing voice coil.

The stock standard Sennheiser way of testing a 421 for this is to apply 100Hz @ 900mV across pins 2 & 3 and listen to the capsule. If it's buzzy and not clean the coil is rubbing against the magnet.

Brent
Thanks a lot for the reply. As I said, I have 2 of those, and they look almost absolutely the same, except for the switch. The strange thing is that the one without the switch also misses the plate which says 'md421-u-4'. The other does have one. It seems a bit flimsy, I opened the one without the switch, and it looks like somebody opened it up before, some dents inside. Perhaps the switch was broken, and they replaced it with another plug without switch, with the same size. It fits perfectly. Also, you have to remove the little plate in order to open it, so they might've left it off.
Not really an expert on testing equipment, what's the usual way of getting a 100hz tone at 900mv?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just bought a Sennheiser MD421-u-4 for 75 euro's (about 100 dollars). From the outside it looks fine. But from the inside i can see that the M-S-switch is missing. I knew this when i bought it. I figured that it would probably be on "M" all the time, which i don't mind since i'm using it on toms and guitar all the time. If i would like to cut off some low-end, i'll do this with an eq. I used it a couple times and it appears to sound like it is supposed to sound. Or am i missing something?
A new switch from sennheiser would cost me almost 100,- euros. Does anybody knows a cheaper alternative?

Thanks, Nielzz
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The one may be bad. This is the typical symptom when they go bad, no lowend.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just this week I contacted Sennheiser, and they indeed charge a lot for repairs. Just looking at the thing will cost 60 euros, and replacing the capsule is 180 euros Since I bought the thing for 120 euros I guess I'll keep it for things with less low end...
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
got a 421 (white older one) with the same problem. is it worth fixing it? is there a way(or a place) to fix it ?
Old 2nd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobifarhi ➑️
got a 421 (white older one) with the same problem. is it worth fixing it? is there a way(or a place) to fix it ?
Talk to your local Sennheiser distributor. Lack of bottom end is a normal failure mode for these mics. I have a couple of newer ones (MD421-II) out for repair right now. It is going to cost about as much as one new one to get two of them repaired, and they will be essentially new mics when they come back (the bodies and grilles were in good shape to begin with). So, if your mic is in good shape otherwise, a new capsule should cost a about half as much as a new one.
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…