Harvesting A/D's from old DAT machine - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harvesting A/D's from old DAT machine
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Harvesting A/D's from old DAT machine

I've got an old DAT (Sony A6) that is laid up in storage being useless. it's a big heavy bulky beast - 3U rack and is unlikely to see any action again as a recorder. it's ebay price is less than shipping cost.

however, the 24-bit A/D is certainly of passable quality, and could come in handy to plumb a couple more inputs into my metric halo uln-2 in lieu of a 'proper' solution, like a 2882.

so here's the stupid question - is it possible to cannabalise the A/D's from a box like this and mount them in a more compact housing? i don't want schematics or anything, my electronics bod could do the chin-scratching but it's just a question of options - are A/D's just sockets and a PCB? is this really fackin' tricky or does it sound like a reasonable proposition?

any comments welcome.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
An A/D converter is just a chip and it is the surrounding 'stuff' and the board it is laid out on which is largely responsible for making it sound decent or 'rubbish'.
Nice that it may be to 'recycle' the bits unless the existing board has outputs suitable or readily convertable to something useful then it is largely 'scrap' although you may get a couple of bucks for the chips if you 'ebayed' them in a couple of years time.
May be an interesting excercise to do technically but I have a garage full of these madcap ideas. SONY PCM701 anyone?
Matt S
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
thanks

it's got all the bits, phono ins and digi outs vis spdif and optical. if it could be stowed in a shallow 1U that would work

...know what you're saying about madcap ideas though. might have to distract my local tech boffin away from his particle accelerator and see what he has to say.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…