RE 201 2 presets buzzing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RE 201 2 presets buzzing
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RE 201 2 presets buzzing

Hi,
Managed to find a a roland space echo today for a fair price... however presets 2 and 6 are sending out buzz and not much echo... (or if this is a sign of bad things to come?)

otherwise all seams very nice indeed...

anybody have any idea what it might be and what sort of $ damages I'm in for or if it's anything I can fix for myself?

thanks very much for any help..
mike
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Are you getting good echo on any of the other positions? Since you bought this unit have you done basic maintenance on it? Such as: cleaning the heads, checking to see if the tape is passing relatively evenly over the record head. By the way the record head is the second head from the left while looking directly at the heads. How good is the tape you are using? If it is worn you need to replace it. Could possibly be the selector switch is filthy and needs cleaning. Get some DeOxit for this . One other thing I nearly forgot to mention. I just worked on mine a few days ago as the output jack was always intermittent. As it turns out it was a problem I fixed once before. The panel 1/4" jacks used in these units are made with a plastic housing. Mine was cracked and I repaired it once before using super glue. Apparently I did not fix it will enough as it began causing problems again. So I opened up the machine and reglued the housing once again. But this time I am prepared as I picked up a new enclosed mono 1/4 panel jack and will be simply replacing it. I mention all this because it is yet another thing to check. Make sure you are getting good connection on the input and output jacks.
Obviously when device is at least 30 years old there are lots of things that can be wrong but check the obvious things first.
I have the original Re-201 I bought new in 1975-76. Some years back I had a problem with the motor. It would not turn. I searched high and low and found quite a few places that work on these machines. Ironically a local guy that had an electronics repair shop said he could fix it. I took it to him and he took out the motor, thoroughly cleaned it and lubed it. It's still working and that was about 3-4 years ago. Every once in a while I will take an oil bottle with a long tube on it and put a drop or two of oil down into where the shaft comes out to meet the pinch roller.
I just ordered a new pinch roller for it today from T.E. Witt who makes new replacement pinch rollers for a variety of different devices.
I plan on recapping my RE-201 in the coming weeks. The echo works but I know by recapping it will sound better. Touchy operation though as you have to loosen the PC board carefully and one by one replace the caps.
Try some of the basic tips and see if that helps eliminate the buzzing.
Old 19th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Regarding the RE-201. If anyone out there has any idea which specific caps are in the signal chain on this unit and know specifically which ones should be replaced it would be most helpful. Otherwise I will likely replace everyone of them on one of the boards. I thik there are about 25 of them. Also if anyone needs the service manual I have one I got off the internet somewhere some months ago so it is available out there somewhere you will find it if you look long enough. Or I can scan mine and attach it to an e-mail.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…