The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
using multiple parallel coupling caps.. is it ok?
Old 9th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
using multiple parallel coupling caps.. is it ok?

Hello all - I'm looking at replacing the coupling caps on my ehx 12ay7 preamp - they're blocking approx 100v and the spec is 250v 47uf in a 16mm dia with max height of 18mm - space is pretty tight and there's a different circuit board right above..

circuit here in an article by the designer. They 're in parallel with a 1uf film cap too.

as far as I can tell caps of this spec/size are unobtanium at the moment.. rubycon seem to offer a 16x16 version but it's a long long lead time..

I do think I could *maybe* fit pairs of 22uf 10x16mm - that would give me 44uf, right? is that frowned upon or ok?

(Another possibility is that I *might* be able to drop the lower board by a millimeter or so, perhaps just enough to fit 20mm caps in, in which case the options are more plentiful, but I'll have to check carefully!
Old 10th May 2022
Deleted 5ebd23f
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
Hello all - I'm looking at replacing the coupling caps on my ehx 12ay7 preamp - they're blocking approx 100v and the spec is 250v 47uf in a 16mm dia with max height of 18mm - space is pretty tight and there's a different circuit board right above..

circuit here in an article by the designer. They 're in parallel with a 1uf film cap too.

as far as I can tell caps of this spec/size are unobtanium at the moment.. rubycon seem to offer a 16x16 version but it's a long long lead time..

I do think I could *maybe* fit pairs of 22uf 10x16mm - that would give me 44uf, right? is that frowned upon or ok?

(Another possibility is that I *might* be able to drop the lower board by a millimeter or so, perhaps just enough to fit 20mm caps in, in which case the options are more plentiful, but I'll have to check carefully!
You are correct, 22uf and 22uf paralleled will make 44uf, you'll be good, As long as the voltage ratings are up to snuff.
Old 10th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5ebd23f ➡️
You are correct, 22uf and 22uf paralleled will make 44uf, you'll be good, As long as the voltage ratings are up to snuff.
Cheers
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…