The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR 808 Parts?
Old 31st July 2007
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
TR 808 Parts?

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement set of 808 buttons? I need to replace some of the pots too but I'm sure I can track down something suitable.

Thanks.
EM
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the buttons are pretty standard things, and relatively easy to find replacements for, if you know what you're looking for. I did this with a few in my 808 years ago (and I forget what I got... sorry!)

the buttons have two "parts" the actual button, and then a plastic surround that holds the button cap and I think also holds the LED (sorry, it's been a while)

But yeah - pull your 808 apart, and take a look at what the actual buttons look like, under the button caps.. take one off the board, even, then go to mouser.com and see what you can see...

It also may be possible to clean gunk out of them with a switch contact cleaner, and have them working again.
Old 31st July 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They look like the Digitast types, but there are a few brands that have that same style. Someone in the MIDIBox forums (midibox.org Forum - Index) may be able to point out the correct types or point you to another forum with the info (there are some 909 clone builders in there).

Good Luck,

George
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I might be able to help you with tact switches for the step buttons. I have quite a few that have been used, but are in great condition. PM me if you're interested.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try asking this guy:

eBay Seller: chipforbrains: Keyboard, Piano, DJ Gear Lighting items on eBay.com

at least he has had replacement button assemblies for tr-808, actually I need a new one too

-Tomi
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot for the help guysheh
I guess its just the button cap I need. The switch still works fine and so does the LED but the plastic cap is missing. Most of the pots and the start stop switch are crap too.
Old 1st August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
aaaah... ok!

Well the issue here is, that more than likely the hinged bit of black plastic on the bit part of plastic around the switch that houses the LEDS and connects to the caps is probably torn off with the caps - in that case, you will need the caps, plus the plastic surround bit.

This couild be a bit interesting to find. especially with the right coloured caps.

Maybe you should be looking for a whole new button board from chipsforbrains?
Old 1st August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Motel ➑️
Thanks a lot for the help guysheh
I guess its just the button cap I need. The switch still works fine and so does the LED but the plastic cap is missing. Most of the pots and the start stop switch are crap too.
I have button caps as well...originals.
Old 17th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For all those interested......
Ebay seller chipforbrains has 808 step switches/buttons available in all colours right now listed on ebay for 5.99US per piece. There are 100 available in each colourheh
Old 18th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Motel ➑️
For all those interested......
Ebay seller chipforbrains has 808 step switches/buttons available in all colours right now listed on ebay for 5.99US per piece. There are 100 available in each colourheh
Please note that they are replicas. Their colors may vary from the originals, so if your TR-808 is missing a yellow cap, order four.
Old 18th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amino ➑️
Please note that they are replicas. Their colors may vary from the originals, so if your TR-808 is missing a yellow cap, order four.
Good point, amino.
Old 26th January 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
808 start/stop button

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find that 808 "start/stop" button?
Tried chipforbrains and a few others...no luck yet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Veronica
Old 12th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
TR-808 Start/Stop Button Replacement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalwave ➑️
Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find that 808 "start/stop" button?
Tried chipforbrains and a few others...no luck yet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Veronica

Hi all, anyone have any luck finding exact button replacement for
the Start Stop Switch? I have the whole piece but it finally died.
Won't work even after cleaning. It's just worn out.
I'll check a place in town today, Skycraft that has a lot of switches..
Hope something fits. Let me know if u fixed yours Veronica.
Peace,
jfunk
Old 12th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you guys wouldn't mind posting links to the vendors for the 808 parts I would appreciate it.

i'm about to go through and recap & replace the diodes on my 808

Here is some info I found while looking up 808 upgrades / mods

A super tech in Japan who does a kick ass overhaul on 808s

About TR-808s ;

TR-808 <---click link to see pics
-re-soldering (all ! )
-replace all Electrolytics
-BD Modify (Pitch & Decay Time)
-HandClap Mofify (Decay Time)
-Kenton MIDI Retrofit

TR-808 Part 2 <---click link to see pics
-re-soldering (all ! )
-replace all Electrolytics
-Switch replace
-Output Level Volume replace
-Sound Improvement (OPAmp replace)
-Kenton MIDI Retrofit

Talk about making a tr808 better then new!!!!
Old 1st September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
im looking for the actual "start/stop" button - not the switch - but the actual plastic button you press - if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know! Thank you.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassproduction ➑️
im looking for the actual "start/stop" button - not the switch - but the actual plastic button you press - if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know! Thank you.
And I am looking for the opposite, the Start/Stop and Tap switches, I have the plastic buttons, but the switches need to be replaced.

I know that they are Alps switches, but Alps here in Sweden could not find any spares, they have been out of production since the eighties.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
try asking this eBay seller if he has any spares for you guys

eBay Seller: technologytransplant: Musical Instruments, Electronics items on eBay.com

lots of knobs, sliders etc.

-Tomi
Old 2nd September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaias ➑️
try asking this eBay seller if he has any spares for you guys

-Tomi
Thanx, I have already ordered the switches.
Old 2nd February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am also looking for Start/Stop and Tap switches to my 808. Technology Transplant does not sell these switches anymore (except bundled with their 808-service kit). Does anyone have experience of which standard switches would work?
Old 29th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebu ➑️
I am also looking for Start/Stop and Tap switches to my 808. Technology Transplant does not sell these switches anymore (except bundled with their 808-service kit). Does anyone have experience of which standard switches would work?
bump for start stop

i saw a thread about some membership stuff for technology transplant. do u have to be a member to order their parts? ?? ? ok to order from them?

ne where to order start stop button by itself?
Old 29th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No, I don't have a membership there. But I ordered half a year ago a replacement set of step buttons for my 808. Their service was really excellent: the first set that arrived did not work, but they sent me directly upon asking a second set - free of charge.

However, lately I've read some rumors about problems with the Technology Transplant-membership at some forums (can't remember where). So I wouldn't recommend the membership.
Old 30th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm still looking for a start/stop switch too. Everything but the plastic cap. Been using a foot pedal for years.
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
bump for start/stop switch part number. (supposedly an Alps)
and a good tech with TR-808 experience (thinking about sending that friend with 808 to SaintEric)

anyone else? preferred in the Netherlands. (but europe is fine too)

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
TR 808 Parts?-5kg4k1.jpg  
Attached Images
TR 808 Parts?-screen-shot-2011-04-13-17.35.46pm.jpg 
Old 15th April 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I once mailed pictures of the start/stop switches to Alps here in Sweden, but the guy said they were out of stock since decades.
Old 16th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumse ➑️
I once mailed pictures of the start/stop switches to Alps here in Sweden, but the guy said they were out of stock since decades.
Argh bump for start stop
Old 18th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez ➑️
Argh bump for start stop
me too
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just received the 808 back from a tech. We agreed initially that he would switch the tab button to the start/stop (which wasn't working anymore and I thought I would rather steer the fills with a pedal and have a smooth start/stop again).

Anyway the tech put a new switch in for the tab button (different from original). The tab button is quite a bit lower now and feels a bit wobbly (it is all proper, but the new switch seems just to be flexible in all directions). But most importantly: it works.

So it seems there are alternatives, as long as you are prepared to sacrifice a bit of aestetics maybe. I at least am happy again heh
Old 10th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
First of all, thanks to those who pointing me towards Technology Transplant. I just ordered the 16 step part for the 808 and a new knob set.

I am still looking for some new level knobs (just the cap) for all the instruments (e.g. level, tone, decay etcetera). Mine are still working fine, but they are a bit worn off.

Does anybody know if these are still available somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
me too... looking for 1 button step, only the plastic cover(red color)
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOOKING FOR :
- Yellow plastic cap for 808 pattern programmer
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…